Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing Games Disconnects Internet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobcat67

bobcat67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hey guys, I have sort of a unique situation here and havent been able to find someone else who has the exact same issue I have. My internet has been a bit wonky lately, sometimes when Im playing a video games my internet will disconnect. However, whatever online game Im playing will continue to function normally with internet access, but internet connection to anything else like a voip program or browser will shut down completely and I cant do anything. As soon as I close whatever game Im playing, I'll be able to connect to my voip and browser again, and will have to reload my game. This happens every once in a while, at seemingly random times. Anyone know what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just some information, Im running Windows 7 and have a Hitron CGN2-ROG router.

Edited by bobcat67, 02 January 2014 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Have you tried a Winsock reset, and flush the DNS for the adapters.  Post your speed that you are getting from your provider.  You can use http://www.testmy.net for the test.  I am taking it that Rogers is your ISP.  See this post over at DSLReports from 2012, where someone was having the same issues that you are, with the same hardware.  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27485761-New-Rogers-HITRON-CGN2-ROG-Cant-Stay-Online

#3 bobcat67

bobcat67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have tried flushing my DNS, and have also tried a Winsock reset. I looked at the thread you posted, but Im not sure that it is a problem with my CGN2-ROG. I used to have a SMCD3GN, and also had these problems. I thought that by replacing it with my current CGN2-ROG it would fix my problems, but as you can tell thats not the case.

Test results are here http://puu.sh/689AJ.png

Edited by bobcat67, 03 January 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#4 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi bobcat67,

there may be few reasons. Sometimes routers are using something called Quality of Service (QoS) to make one type of traffic a higher priority over another type of traffic. In theory, it is possible that on your router QoS is set up to provide the highest priority to the net traffic for your online game. As a result, everything else (web browsing, voip) could die, especially if your internet connection is slow.

I would recommend logging to your router and checking for QoS settings.

If you don't have QoS enabled on your router, other reason may be trivial - not enough bandwidth. You can check your bandwidth at speedtest.net, I would recommend doing the test while you are not doing anything else, and then for comparison I would open few different browsers and play some high quality videos from youtube to see if this impacts the bandwidth.

Let us know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users