Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery drive maxed out from easy transfering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buckwrmrp

buckwrmrp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I got a new windows 8 computer and have a windows 7 and I transferred all user and shared files to an external hard drive and then on to my new computer just like it said to. Halfway into the shared files transfer I got an error msg. Saying not enough disk space left to finish. I looked at my computer and it shows my recovery drive (D) now is full! I don't really know what happened or how to fix this! I tried going into that recovery drive but it shows an HP message that says this drive is partitioned and do not delete. I can't even look in it to try and clear it or know enough to want to try. I need some help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

You should be transferring to the C: Drive. Just put the files into a separate directory.

The recovery drive is there to allow You to recover the Windows if needed. It is not there to be storage.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 buckwrmrp

buckwrmrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Thank you Roger. I watched you tube videos and it seemed easy enough but when I hit new computer it just said transferring and didn't give me a choice. In fact when I set it up to transfer from my old computer it said after I picked old computer it would give me choices but it just started the transfer there too. My question after these is how do I clean up my overloaded recovery drive now on my new )computer? I keep getting overloaded (D Drive full) and the only thing it'll let me do is empty the recycle bin.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

What happens if You try copy and paste to put the files where they are needed?

As for where they went can You post a image of that drives contents? It may work if You can disable autorun for that drive. I believe there is a autorun file on that drive that gives that message. Or since it is a new computer the easiest method may be to call tech support and see what they say. You need to be very careful with the recovery drive.

I think my first step would be to clone it to a new external drive just in case. Do not clone to a drive that has anything you would not want to lose. A clone replaces everything.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 buckwrmrp

buckwrmrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Roger. I found some info on the internet saying I can't transfer to c drive from d (recovery) on windows 8 even with file explorer. I did copy my Recovery drive to an external drive with the understanding that at the end of the transfer i'd be given the option to then be able and delete the contents of the recovery drive. I was not given any options. It just said transfer complete. I don't understand why "easy transfer would automatically send all my user files to recovery anyhow! You'd think it would have been set for C automatically. Geek squad quoted me $200 to fix it but I'll be danged if I'm going to pay them! It's got to be something relatively simple!!! I guess I'm about to become a bit more computer educated because if you can transfer regular to your Recovery then you should be able to extract them! God I hope so LOL

#6 buckwrmrp

buckwrmrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

I would also like to say I'm not angry with Geek Squad in any form. They have been very helpful to me in the past! What I mean to say is that I'm not a Rich man by any means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users