Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limewire / Buffer Zone Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hello all,

I have just installed Buffer Zone protection for Limewire. The problem is, when I try to open Limewire, my system crashes. It switches off completely, then goes into disk checking mode. When it comes back on, it tells me that my system has recovered from a serious error.

I wonder if this is due to an incompatibilty problem. Zone Alarm and AVG antivirus shouldn't be a problem, as I understand it. I also have Ewido antimalware, Winpatrol and Spyware Blaster.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks and regards,

Ally
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hello! Well first and most important thing: Limewire is an illegal and malevolent peer-to-peer sharing program. If you had A-Squared Anti-Malware, you will see that A-Squared should detect at least 10 malware infections as it did with my system. While you may not be willing to accept and follow my advice I STRONGLY suggest you remove Limewire at once! It will do you no good to keep it on your system. It is like a gigantic hole and gateway for malware to enter your computer. Once Limewire is removed, A-Squared anti-malware can be acquired here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/ I advise updating it and then going into safe mode to thourghly remove the malware from limewire. Also, using HiJackThis and posting a HJT log in our HJT forum will help remove other malware.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

I did not find any bad things in using limewire, as long as im using it correctly, eg downloading only recent documents. I won't suggest anyone to download programs or songs, because that's where the malwares are hidden, and u can see the list for size of the downloads, if most of them are the same size, do not download, but if the size is really big, do not worry at all !! just click download.
Unless ur really scared, or not sure about using the program, then I'll suggest u to remove all p2p programs, because most of them are really similar (having possibilities of downloading viruses or malwares).

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:34 AM

I highly recommend that you uninstall limewire, and then post a hijack this log in here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
these are the instructions.

limewire has been known to disable antivirus and anti spyware applications

the usual message the user receives is"you have a problem that is preventing you from sharing files, do you want to fix this?"

when you click yes, your firewall, and virus and anti spyware are turned off.

Again, I highly recommend that no p2p program be used on computers.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users