Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover data from corruted USB stick

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wbrannan

wbrannan

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi There.

I have a 32GB memory stick which I have lost some important data from. Essentially whilst trying to rebuild a laptop I ran one of the utilities from the F10 screen during Win 7 64 bit installation - I think I ran DISKPART? Is that right? It was a DOS style app that allowed me to erase and I think Quick Format drives. I was trying to format another drive and not realising I had the stick plugged in I accidentally erased that one.. Ok hands in the air, I was out of my depth and messed up... now I need help to recover the data that was on the stick.

When the sick is inserted into my lapop now it says that it needs to be formatted to continue (I just click cancel here). I have tried a number of free recovery utilities to get back the data but the simpler ones don't seem to find the disk and the more complicated ones (such as testdisk and photorec) leave me feeling a little stumped. I tried a photo-rec run on it and whilst it did find a lot of files it did not correctly recover the files I am after.

The most important files I am looking to recover are some large zip files which were contained on the stick. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I would download PhotoRec and try a recovery. Just make sure you do not try to recover the files back to the flash drive or the files will be lost.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

#3 wbrannan

wbrannan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hi John.

I already tried PhotoRec and whilst it did recover some files, it did not seem to do such a good job on the zip files. I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing with this tool as it only had a console interface and some options that I didn't really want to mess with : -)

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

What happens when you run TestDisk? Do you see your files?

You should be able to run the Windows version of TestDisk for this (it is still a console app and looks like it does in Linux).

If you try it again, choose CREATE on the first screen and it will create a log file called testdisk.log in the same folder as the executable. You can post the logfile here and we'll look at it for you.

If you need info on how to run TestDisk, let us know how far you get, what operating system you are using and any problems encountered.

-=[ James ]=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users