Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system rebooting only on SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lsmeed

lsmeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi All,

PC Spec:

MB: Asrock N68C-GS FX
CPU: AMD FX8300
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8Gb (2x4Gb)
PSU: CiT 700W
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6570
Boot Drive: Corsair 30Gb SSD Sata 2
Data Drive: Toshiba 2.0TB SATA 3
Other Drives: WD SATA HDD 80Gb, DVD-RW

I've been messing around with a PC I've had for a while trying to get a decent cheap CAD terminal out of it and I'm beginning to lose my rag with it.

I was booting from the 80Gb drive with an older SATA HDD as a data drive running Win 7 and everything was running fine.

I decided to upgrade the drives and bought the above SSD, installed Win7 on it and had the 80Gb drive as second drive and again everything was fine.

I then bought the above 2Tb drive, booted from the 80Gb HDD and prepared the new drive as a blank volume - again all was well.

HOWEVER I then booted from the SSD and it now will get to the windows login screen then after about 20-30 seconds it will
reboot.
If I boot from the older 80Gb drive it is fine but every time I try to boot the SSD i just get the same issue - rebooting.

Really not sure why the problem has suddenly developed. Any insights/solutions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in
advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

30GB SSD with Windows 7 install is super tight, especially with 8GB RAM wanting to create a swap space of up to 12GB!!!

How much free space is on the SSD? Have you ever pointed swap space to be on the 80GB drive to where removing the 80GB drive and introducing the 2TB drive now leaves the SSD at C: with a broken/no swap space allocation?

Before updates and other software installed to my recent Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit install, it consumed 17.6GB for Windows and up to 6GB for the swap space of my 30GB SSD.

I have an older dual-core Athlon 4450B 2.3Ghz system with Biostar MCP6PB M2+ motherboard that also is running with a 30GB Corsair SSD performance upgrade, and I got this SSD cheap off of newegg as a refurb for $30 and it works well, however it is a tight install for Windows 7 64-bit using up about 23GB of the 30GB leaving 7GB free after fully patched and a few programs installed to C: I ended up putting my old drive a 164.7GB drive that is a SATA I Hitachi HDD in as a slave drive at D: and moving my swap space to be on D: vs C: so that the 6GB of swap space was on D: vs C: and this way I had 7GB free vs just 1GB free on C:. And your system with 8GB RAM, I can see you running into issues with no room for swap space on that SSD at C: and so you may have to remove RAM to get the system to boot at say 4GB of RAM, and then allocate swap space to be on that 2TB, and then shut down and add the other stick back to have 8GB RAM, and the 2TB drives swap space should be set to Windows Managed and grow to the size it needs to be.

If your running into this swap space issue this will fix it!

BTW: The Corsair SSD has a neat statistic in the SMART data to know how many READs and how many WRITEs the drive has performed since installed. I monitor my drive with Crystal Disk occasionally to check on the SSD health and the HDD health and this was a neat feature that you can keep track of how much use the drive has not in just power cycles and operating hours, but also you are able to know if you are writing too much to this C: drive SSD to which you can redirect the program that writes often to the HDD instead to conserve the life the SSD by limiting the write cycles to the SSD and sending them to the HDD that is best for frequent writing and deletion tasks, such as video editing etc which if one process that I have that I am working with large files written, editied, and the final result saved and the massive source deleted after such as is in the case of using FRAPS to record game play to share with others and then compress it to smaller format and make a 17GB file size down to 600MB in the end with VirtualDub64.

I would also download and run Crystal Disk on your drives to make sure that all is well. It will bring to your attention any problems detected with SSD or HDD's. I would use the portable version though vs the one that has the installer. There is no need for it to be anchored to Windows install when it will run the same in the portable version. * I try to avoid programs that anchor to installs when there is a portable version available to keep the install as clean as possible when so many are trying to slip in toolbars and other unneeded software as part of their installs these days.

Edited by goldfist, 04 January 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hi

Also you may want to press F8 when you start it (like you do to get into safe mode) and select "disable automatic restart on error". That way it may give you a blue screen error with more clues to the problem instead of just rebooting.

-=[ James ]=-

#4 lsmeed

lsmeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I havent had a chance to test anything this weekend as I've been away but what goldfist said hits it think.

I DID redirect my page file system to D: and all my temp files/folders to write onto the D:

When I installed win7 on the SSD it left me with like 4Gb of free space so I went through switching everything I could think of over to the D: (80Gb HDD) this cleared out a good 15Gb of space!!. Then I made a stupid mistake and prepared the 2Tb drive from win7 booting from the 80Gb drive and called it F:. I disconnected the 80Gb drive and booted from the SSD with the 2Tb drive as the data disk but it will still be booting as F: and my SSD will be looking for a D: to write all the page files/temp files etc to.

I havent had a chance to check that this is the problem yet but I have a strong feeling it will be! Hopefully I'll have time tonight to try it out and see if that truely is the issue.

Edited by lsmeed, 06 January 2014 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users