Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - Belkin USB Adapter Crash

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KR1Z00

KR1Z00

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

Hello,

I have had a "Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band USB Adapter" (Model Number F9L1101v1) for about 1 year - 2 years...

It has been working like a charm since about a week ago.

The problem I am now having is a Windows XP crash (Blue Screen)

I get the following:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80544E2C, 0xAA3B1BE8, 0x00000000)

When I plug it in it plays the "device in sound" and after about 5 seconds it plays the "device out sound" and crashes...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (and needed!)

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

It sounds like you started having problems with the Belkin wireless adapter about a week ago but the problem probably isn't the unit but it was related to an issue with the computer itself which eventually has led to the Blue Screen 

I would start of by disconnecting the unit and start the computer in Safe Mode and see if the computer starts ok.

#3 KR1Z00

KR1Z00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

It sounds like you started having problems with the Belkin wireless adapter about a week ago but the problem probably isn't the unit but it was related to an issue with the computer itself which eventually has led to the Blue Screen 

I would start of by disconnecting the unit and start the computer in Safe Mode and see if the computer starts ok.

Yeah I have no problem starting the computer but whenever I plug in the adapter, the computer crashes, this is why I'm blaming the unit or the driver...

P.S I started in safe mode, re-installed my driver and It's still doing it...

I have defragged the disk (only have 1) and have done a system clean-up...

Thanks

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

What you say makes sense.

--- Is it possible it's a USB connection issue?

--- Use the same USB port to test a thumb drive & also a printer, maybe a webcam

I would consider 2 further scenarios

With the unit removed, do a system restore to a time when you know everything was working fine

--- Use the computer for at least a day to ensure the computer runs ok

--- Can you think of anything that has happened since the time from when it was working fine?

--- Then plug the unit in with the computer off and see how it starts up and runs

Completely uninstall anything related to the unit and use the computer for at least a day to ensure the computer runs ok

--- If everything runs ok, reinstall the unit, update it and see the results

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

this blue screen happened to me once not too long ago with my wireless adapter (netgear wna3100) on my xp machine, then the PC rebooted automatically. the adapter was connecting but disconnecting over and over. it would stay connected to the router, but the router wasn't connecting out consistently. i would just run a 50 foot lan cable which was unsightly out of the wireless router for a stable broadband connection into my mobo integrated lan port...

then i looked it up, and i started tweaking netsh commands and services.msc and now the adapter is  working wonderfully, but my hard lan cable connection is toast...something that i noticed that was peculiar, is this "internet gateway" that is showing up in my xp network connections dialog with the wireless adapter connection while it is connected . . i remember seeing it in my win7 PC network connections dialog while it was connected via lan. 

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I need to verify what’s going on

You are using a Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band USB Adapter" (Model Number F9L1101v1)

You had a wireless adapter (netgear wna3100) but that is out of the picture now

You have an XP and a Windows 7 computer

--- Are both of them laptops with built in wireless access?

You were able to tweak some settings on the Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band USB Adapter and now it’s working wirelessly just fine on both computers

You say the hard lan cable connection is toast: is it on the XP computer?

--- If this is the case, is this the issue you want to address now?

--- If so connect the XP computer with a known good 6-foot ethernet cable directly to the incoming ISP router without the Belkin in the loop and see what happens

--- If the connection is still toast, go into Device Manager and look at the status of the LAN Network Adapter

--- You can also consider disabling the built in wireless to see if it’s interfering with the LAN Network Adapter

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

ooops..

the original poster had a working belkin wireless adapter that blue-screened a short while ago and now is giving dysfunctional indications, my adapter (netgear) was working good up until about 3 months ago, then blue-screened and my XP machine rebooted, it was my first blue-screen ever on a home PC. it was very brief and then the machine was normal, then the lan went AWOL, i fixed my wireless netgear adapter  with a few tweaks that i wouldn't recommend getting into without thorough research.

so i chimed in because something similar happened to my wireless adapter and my XP machine and i fixed it but then crippled my LAN connection. in the process.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Sorry I mixed up some information

synergy, no problem you chimed in and thanks for your input

--- I just got back from a 3 day vacation and was anxious to get back into this

I'll review the original information and see if I can think of some ideas

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

--- Use the same USB port to test a thumb drive & also a printer, maybe a webcam

With the unit removed, do a system restore to a time when you know everything was working fine

--- Can you think of anything that has happened since the time from when it was working fine?

--- Then plug the unit in with the computer off and see how it starts up and runs

Completely uninstall anything related to the unit and use the computer for at least a day to ensure the computer runs ok

If you reach the point to re-installing the unit, do not have it connected yet

Install the drivers from CD or better yet from the Belkin website

--- The Belkin CD should give you the option to install the latest drivers from their website

--- You probably already know this but don't power up the unit until instructed to do so

------ I suspect resetting the unit would be a good idea

--- Then connect to the USB port and continue from there

#10 KR1Z00

KR1Z00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

If you reach the point to re-installing the unit, do not have it connected yet

Install the drivers from CD or better yet from the Belkin website

--- The Belkin CD should give you the option to install the latest drivers from their website

--- You probably already know this but don't power up the unit until instructed to do so

------ I suspect resetting the unit would be a good idea

--- Then connect to the USB port and continue from there

Cool I have tried all of the stuff you have said to do but it is still not working...

I have done a complete restore on my wireless router as well...

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Well it looks like your original suspicion was right by blaming the unit or the driver.

You've tried what you can but it just looks like you should just uninstall everything Belkin on your computer and buy a wireless unit or adapter now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users