Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port Problems - not functioning and also causing 100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tv69

tv69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Hello,

Greetings to all and Happy New Year!

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a computer that is roughly 10 years old.  We recently had a blackout due to weather and when the power came back my power supply in my computer was fried.  I purchased a new power supply and installed it.  Everything powered up but the system was behaving like it had some Gremlins in it.  I now have everything back to normal except for the USB ports.

My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE with 2.4 GHz Intel CPU and 1GB Infineon RAM.  I am currently running a completely fresh OS install on a spare hard drive I had lying around.

The problem is that if anything such as a USB thumb drive or external CD/DVD drive is plugged in to the 4 available USB ports on the back during boot up, the CPU Usage is shown to be 100% in the Task Manager at all times.  Any plugged in USB device in also not accessible.

If I reboot without any USB devices connected, the CPU Usage is normal and almost 0%.  Everything functions fine until I plug in a USB device at which point the computer completely freezes and is unresponsive.  The only way to power down is to press and hold the main power switch.

Any input would be much appreciated.

I have read many reports of the CPU Usage being 100% even on much newer systems with running a newer OS.  Is this a problem that can be fixed or is it likely some damage was done when the power came back up and the power supply blew?

The original power supply that died was an Antec TruePower 330.  My new power supply is a Thermaltake TR2 430W.

Thanks,

TV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hello, found this on ASUS's support site for your motherboard under Utilities>Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V5.02.1003.

ICH4 USB 2.0 Driver for Windows XP.Important! You need to follow the steps decribed in Readme-XP.txt; otherwise, you may need to do a new Windows XP installation to FIX POTENTIAL USB 2.0 PROBLEM. ICH4 USB 2.0 Driver for Windows XP. This is a WHQL driver. Important! You need to follow the steps decribed in Readme-XP.txt; otherwise, you may need to do a new Windows XP installation to FIX POTENTIAL USB 2.0 PROBLEM afterwards.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 January 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#3 tv69

tv69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the reply JohnC_21.  I found that info and downloaded the files.  The readme-xp.txt file states the following in the opening sentences:

Windows XP USB2.0 Driver Installation Guide
====================================
Introduction:
-----------------
1. This driver only works with Intel ICH4 chipset & Windows XP.
2. If you're using Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you DO NOT need to
install this driver, because they already contain software support for USB 2.0.

My fresh install on my spare hard drive was done via a previous image of a fresh install with all drivers for my hardware configuration and an update to XP SP2.

Based on the excerpt above, is it reasonable to rule out the ICH4 USB 2.0 Driver as a problem since I am installing an image that is later than XP SP1?

Thanks,

TV

Edited by tv69, 02 January 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Yes, I did not read the readme file. :(. But, I would update to SP3 and see if that solves the problem.

#5 tv69

tv69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

I have installed a PCI USB expansion card with 4 USB external ports and one internal.  These ports work flawlessly while all ports on the motherboard still cause the same problems posted earlier.

My guess is the power supply failure fried the area of the motherboard controlling the on board USB ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users