Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Issue with Hp HDX 16 1200-CTO

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Packers75

Packers75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an HP HDX 16 1200-CTO laptop that has a strange power issue. The charger cuts in and out when I'm using the computer; however, it does not when the computer is asleep, off, or hibernating. The computer will not run on A/C power alone (only for 5 min or so) and I have replaced to dc jack inside the computer. The computer also runs on the battery without a problem. I have tried a different charger, have tested my charger, and I have had geeksquad look at it. I'm not sure where else to look. What on the motherboard would cause this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

How long does this battery last on a full charge? If it lasts just half as long or less from that of which when it was new, I'd replace the battery.

I have seen laptops with batteries that have aged and are on their way out cause a similar issue. The issue is caused when the battery is unable to keep up with the power demands of the laptop and the charger is unable to keep up with the power demands of charging the battery. As the battery drains and the charger is unable to charge the battery at the same time of powering the laptop the laptop will eventually crash or give low battery warning. The charger at this point is burning Hot because it was trying to keep up with the load and couldnt.

If you leave the system off for a period of time battery will recharge and the system will behave the same the next time you use it where the AC supply cant keep up with the demands.

The reason for not being able to keep up with demands is usually because the battery itself has a cell that is bad and is fighting the power supply to take a charge. This usually makes the battery hot when it is charging, although I have seen some that have had a bad cell only be mildly warm during a charge in which it would seem normal for a battery that is charging for feel warm.

Do you have a spare battery for this laptop to swap and see if the problem goes away?

Some laptop batteries have a LED indicator on them that you can use to test the battery outside of the laptop, although many dont. If this battery has this feature I'd push the button on the battery out of the laptop and see if it shows a good status for the battery cells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users