Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help With Removing Several Virus/trojans/adwares

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bmaner123

Bmaner123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

//Mod edit: Moved from "Windows XP Home and Professional" forum to the more appropriate.//

Please can someone help me I am begging I fear that my computer with crash or stop working or anything at any moment and I cannot lose all the information and important things on it. Here's my problem...

I was surfing the internet on my usual sites (stocks, banking) and all the windows just shut. OH MAN PLEASE IM FREAKING OUT A POPUP JUST SHOWED UP.... ok at the bottom taskbar there is a icon with like the accesibility pic and then it switches to a like a block sign and then switches back. i just ran my spy sweeper program and it says it found: trojan-downloader-zlob(critical), security2k hijacker(critical) and popuper. a red box keeps poping up on the bottom right corner of the screen saying your computer is at risk and it could crash at any moment and i am freaking... Please can anyone help me i need help so much i am literally on my knees. i would die if anything happened to this computer.. I know im kinda obsessing but i need it... Please if you need anymore information ill provide it but please just hurry i need help........

Edited by KoanYorel, 07 May 2006 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

What program is causing the popup?

If it is not being produced by an ap that has an icon in the tray it might just be Windows Messenger spam.

Other than the popups is your computer acting strangely in any other way - IE blue stop screens, freezing, running very slowly, rebooting by itself, etc?

The first thing to do may be to stop Messenger Service from running, which will cause no harm if this isn't Messenger spam anyway. (this has nothing to do with any of the web instant messenger aps).

Messenger (not to be confused with MSN Messenger, AOL IM or any other internet messenger) was originally created for system administrators and users to communicate with other users on large networks.
Spammers have figured out how to send spam with it taking advantage of exploits on your computer.
What you describes sounds like
Windows Messenger Spam
To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.
To do that:
--In Windows XP, click Start>>Control Panel
--In Windows 2000, click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel
In both versions:
--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service called “Shoot The Messenger” which is available at
http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
Download and run “Shoot The Messenger”

It would also be a good idea to back-up all important data if you can.

Next, run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

Bmaner123, you did not follow the instructions in Enthusiast's post. It is important that you follow the instructions on what to do to try and clean your computer and how to post a HiJackThis log. Once you are being helped in the HiJackThis forum they will be giving you lots of explicit instructions. How well you follow them will determine the outcome for your computer.

Here is the important stuff to get started:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with Windows related to the removal of the infection, then come to the other forums and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users