Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus laptop battery or power adapter issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

I have an Asus K501 laptop that I'm trying to determine whether it has a battery issue or just a bad adapter. The computer stays on for a little while when the adapter is out so I know it holds at least some what of a charge. After removing the power adapter for about 20 min it dies. The adapter itself is a bit loose on the male side so that I have to wiggle it in order for the charging icon to show up in the status bar. I'm trying to determine if there is a better way for me to figure out whether I have a battery issue or a power adapter issue or both. Any ideas?

Also does anyone know where the best source to buy a replacement adapter is? Seems like the after market ones on Amazon are all poor quality based on the reviews.

ASUS K501

Windows 7 Professional SP1

3.0 GB RAM

Pentium R T4400

320 GB Hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Best Buy has a one year warranty and 30 day money back.....ASUS K501 Power Adapter *Best Buy Replacement ASUS K501 AC Adapter/Power Supply/Charger

It's possible you need both charger and battery. You'll find out when you get the new charger....that's the surest way.

Gotta be careful when plugging and unplugging the chargers. Mess up the female connection and you could end up replacing the mother board.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Bread&Butter

Bread&Butter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

What about 3rd party software to check battery life? Windows says the battery is fully charged when I know it's not. Should I try a third party software to see better into how much juice the battery has left?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Many smaller units have a small switch incorporated in the jack mounted to the board for the AC adapter input.  Easily jammed, broken lose from the board, stuck switch or poor connection result.  Cure, hopefully it's just the switch that needs to be replaced (clue: moving jack around to get good connection) and it hasn't damaged the board.  Some adapters have two different voltages and some have both AC abd DC going to the LT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users