Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows refuses to start.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PProposer

PProposer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I have done all that I could.

I have tried System Restore, and the pre-installed Dell program that reverts the entire computer to factory state and reinstalls personal files in the Music, Documents, Videos etc area.

But no matter what, every time I log on to the computer, the same error message is displayed.

"Interactive logon process initialization has failed.

Please consult the event log for more details."

I would also like to add that the computer shut down normally the last time I used it, and nothing went unresponsive in the process. Everything that I've read have suggested a clean factory reset, but I don't have the Windows recovery disks people claim. I CAN however, access the Startup Repair menu, but that is it.

I don't know what to scan my computer with, or what to do at this point. All safe modes display the same thing, and all I can access is the repair menu.

I'm hoping I can find a solution for this from the excellent computer experts here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

What is showing in Events in Administrative Tools for errors?

#3 PProposer

PProposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have no idea how to access it. I'm not the best with computers. All I know is that I can't even get to desktop before the entire screen goes black and it says this.

#4 PProposer

PProposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Update: I still don't know how to handle this problem.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

When you turn on the computer and see the Bios splash screen, start pressing F8, to get into Safe mode.  Once into Safe mode, click on the Orb, then go to Control Panel and look for "Administrative Tools".  Click on that and it will open a window.  Then click on "Events" and look for any problems in there.

Since it is going black on boot, that leads to a possible driver issue for the display and/or graphics chipset.  Go into Device Manager, and uninstall the display and graphics chipset drivers, then when you reboot into regular Windows mode, it should start loading the default Windows drivers for the display and graphics chipset.

The problem that you are having, is related to automatic login, which is when users do not use a password for logging into the computer.  See the following Microsoft KB article for the Hotfix.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2615701

If you are not comfortable, find a local mom & pop shop, not Best Buy Geek Squad.  You may get lucky if you have a Staples or Office Depot, and their tech knows what they are doing, and knows how to do the fix.  Print out the info from the KB article I linked, to show them that is the problem, and they should be able to handle.

This is an area that is not for the faint of heart, especially since it is happening after you install the Dell image, if that is how it is happening by your description.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users