Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not boot to bios

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xtsim456

xtsim456

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Computer specs: Compaq presario 6016us
athlon xp 1800+
2gb ram ( originally 479 mb)
60 gb hard drive
250 watt liteon power supply
windows xp home edition 32-bit

The problem I am having is the computer turns on but a blinking red light appears on the power light while the hard drive activity light stays a solid green. Normal boot order is the two DVD drives light with top first, bottom second, then floppy drive light, then bios. The boot order now is the top dvd drive top first, bottom second, no floppy drive light, no bios, with blinking red power light, with solid activity light.

I have had this problem one time before (in 08) after removing a few connectors (mainly power and ide cables) and both ram sticks (with cmos battery still in). After putting back the cables to the hard drive and motherboard and placing the two ram sticks back in. I plugged in the computer which booted right after I plugged it in, the power light blinks red, activity light stays a solid green. I sent the computer to a repair store which told me that there is a few viruses (don't think that was related) and that they "reset the memory". The computer boots normally

A few years more years into using the computer, I was using windows xp when I found out it was getting slow, later finding out that I only have 256mb of ram ( 479mb was supposed to be in). I removed the cmos battery and removed both 256mb sticks and placed them back in and the cmos battery in. The computer boots up with red power light blinking and the activity light solid green. I later bought 2 x 1gb pc-3200 ddr sticks of ram to replace the two 256mb ram sticks. I removed the cmos battery and replaced the two ram sticks with new ones and placed the cmos battery back in. The computer power light still blinks red and the activity light stays solid green. I also replaced the cmos battery with a new one with no avail. I also tested with another power supply with same results. DVD drives still open and close.

Was there anything missing when I replaced the ram? What did the person mean when he said "reset the memory"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Probably took it out and then put it back in, -- reseating it. One thing you could try, assuming you are using the right kind of RAM for your mobo, is take the RAM out, then blow the RAM slots out with compressed air, then put the RAM back in. Might also check to make sure you replaced the mobo battery with the right kind. They do come with various different voltages.

Edited by JHMcG, 01 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

While cleaning out the memory slots, give them a careful inspection, especially the plastic frame around the connector, they often break or fracture and an intermittent will result.  If no speaker is connected, few newer ones do, you'd not know it was beeping a code that said the root memory is not valid.  Removing the CMOS bat forces a factory reset, loading the BIOS from firmware but with that first memory block invalid, no where to load the BIOS to.

#4 lsmeed

lsmeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

As others have stated this type of problem is usually RAM related - especially if as you said a pc repair shop "reset the memory".

A quick google of your pc suggests that it originally came with pc2100 sticks installed - if blowing out the slots and a quick visual inspection doesnt show anything then my guess would be that the pc3200 sticks that you have bought are either not supported by your motherboard or it is also possible that you motherboard wont support 2GB if it originally came with only 512 - try just putting 1 of the new sticks in and see if it boots.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Crucial shows that this computer will run on PC-2100,PC-2700, and PC-3200.

The maximum amount of RAM is 1GB per slot, a total of 2GB.

To go any further would require the make and model of the modules installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 xtsim456

xtsim456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Crucial shows that this computer will run on PC-2100,PC-2700, and PC-3200.

The maximum amount of RAM is 1GB per slot, a total of 2GB.

To go any further would require the make and model of the modules installed.

The brand of the modules is memory master with the model mmd2048kd1-400 for the ram modules I replaced them with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users