Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner Targets "OpenDNS Updater" for Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

On Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, I ran AdwCleaner v3.016 (out of curiosity) and found that it targeted the "OpenDNS Updater" for removal.  Is this correct behavior?  I thought that using OpenDNS was a good thing.

http://imgur.com/hahSOSv

hahSOSvl.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

The Updater is useful if you are using OpenDns to filter websites. Some users found that without it their system would revert to using their ISP's DNS server.

Looking online a bit, I don't see any complaints or any user suggesting that it puts ads on your computer.

Unless someone has another opinion or knows different, I suggest you not allow AdwCleaner to remove it.

I use OpenDNS and am sure that I do not have the Updater. Never downloaded it. No problems with Open DNS for maybe 3 years or so.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

I provided the developer a link to this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Another thought....If you downloaded the updater from any place other than here:

Windows IP Updater This is the officially supported OpenDNS Windows client, which sends your network's new IP Address to OpenDNS whenever it should change.

the download may have contained adware.

If you don't remember where you downloaded from, I recommend removing the updater and get the download from link above.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

I provided the developer a link to this topic.

All posted feedback will be send to Xplode in a few minutes.

Thank you !

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users