Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Hard Drive = Xp Reboot Loop, Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

I have 4 hard drives and one of them failed the other day when I was trying to play a video clip. When trying to play it with WMP9 it would freeze so then I had to go into ‘task manager’ and ‘end the process’. I did this 2 times and then the 3rd time my computer shut down and went into a looped re-boot mode.
PC Boot would be good, the windows logo screen would come up, but then it would disappear and a blue error screen would come up for a split second. I have not been able to see what the specific error as the computer goes to re-boot but have seen it say ‘windows has been halted to prevent damage from occurring to your computer’ or something like that.
I was very worried in the beginning but after unplugging each HD, I have concluded which HD is the cause. So at least everything else works ok, whew!
One other thing to mention is that the failing HD is a Maxtor 160Gig SATA drive filled with only 250MB empty. I’m thinking this is a cause but not sure.
Does anyone know of something I could try to get this drive working again? I do need the information on it.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

PS – after this scare I did a major back-up of all other important info I could access.
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

The only thing I could think of that might conceivably work is to make a copy of UBCD and try to hook up the drive but boot with the UBCD. You might then be able to move files to another drive until you free up space on that drive. Since it's not booting the Windows operating system, it might work, but it seems a long shot. I have used UBCD with a thumb drive to move files that I wanted to keep.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

Check your Event Viewer for possible errors related to this (how-to here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

Next, get a lot of the stuff off of that drive! I recommend at least 15% free space on the drive. An overfull drive can cause all sorts of problems for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

thanks for the replies!
figured out that it was a power problem. had too many hard drives so had to unplug a few :thumbsup:
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users