Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA disappeared, aero & sleep mode not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joannasza

joannasza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello,

I have laptop Sony VAIO with intel core i3 and nvidia geforce with cuda (well, had). 

Few months ago nvidia disappeared completely, windows aero is not working (that's how I noticed something is wrong) and sleep mode is not available (when I close my laptop it turns black but it's still running - doesn't log me out or anything). I tried antiwiruses (I have avast and tried anti malware), I googled it many times and found some explanations and advises like running performance test (which didn't work btw, it says test can't be done due to... many reasons, nothing in particular) or clearing more space (I deleted around 100GB, right now I have 200GB of free space). I was worried it's some kind of weird virus since my mom was using my laptop and she is usually visiting not safe websites, but I can't see any harm besides lack those three things. It's not running slow or anything, nothing disappeared, etc. I really tried looking for an answer and I hope somebody here will help me. I really appreciate any feedback! 

Edited by joannasza, 01 January 2014 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Don't know what you mean when you say nvidia disappeared. Please explain.

#3 joannasza

joannasza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Don't know what you mean when you say nvidia disappeared. Please explain.

It's just not there anymore. Like... it was uninstalled? I found nvidia control panel and when I tried opening it it just simply said nvidia panel is not avaiable because this user is not using monitor connected to nvidia card.  I can't connect my laptop with tv by hdmi entrance because it's not supported by my graphic card (sorry for any mistake I make, I'm not that good in english or computers) - graphic card went to basic one? And aero is not working because it's not supported by that basic graphic card? or graphic card settings I'm on right now. 

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Most likely Windows/Microsoft update downloaded the Microsoft version, which actually removes the installed panels for video chipsets.  Just go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and use Option 2, to automatically find the installed GPU, and download associated drivers and software.

#5 joannasza

joannasza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

Most likely Windows/Microsoft update downloaded the Microsoft version, which actually removes the installed panels for video chipsets.  Just go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and use Option 2, to automatically find the installed GPU, and download associated drivers and software.

Couldn't find it automatically, but manually it worked (I'm not 100% sure if that's my graphic card parameters). 

But I found something like that on VAIO website 

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23564/kw/nvidia

It says: NVIDIA has recently identified a possibility of critical buffer overflow vulnerability in NVIDIA Graphics Driver installed on VAIO personal computers. The security update program that resolves this issue has been released and Sony recommends that you apply the update program as soon as possible.

I'm afraid it's too late for me to do that update now, since there's no sign of NVIDIA on my laptop, but I will try either way.

Also I realized my brightness is messed up, it's super blight and I can't turn it down. I wonder if that has something to do with graphic card. 

UPDATE

It works! 

So in case anybody will have that problem - I had to do VAIO update and as Greg62702 said - download NVIDIA driver, but since it couldn't been found automatically I had to look for it on Sony website and if you know your laptop parameters it has to be somewhere in downloads. I couldn't been happier! Thank you guys for help!

Edited by joannasza, 02 January 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Even if not automatically found, as long as you know the Chipset, you can download manually from the link I posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users