Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot download some files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BV1973

BV1973

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I've been receiving the error message "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded."  No matter what, I've tried setting the security to the lowest possible settings, disabling security altogether, tried support from Norton, tried using Google Chrome--none of this has worked so far. Norton has told me there is nothing they can do on two occasions.  One tech was actually able to remote in to my machine and he eventually gave up on the download issue because he could not make it work, and told me to call my ISP.  He thought they may have blocked downloads.  Comcast says they did not, and referred me back to Norton.  The second call to Norton, and the tech could not remote in and told me the same thing, to call Comcast.   When I said I already had, he referred me to Microsoft. 

Last week, I ran the Norton power eraser and there was a "wow.dll" virus on the machine that was supposedly wiped off with the scan and fixed.  It recommended updating Java, so I uninstalled and went to reinstall and. .  . I could not download the updated file.  The weird thing is I CAN download say a PDF or excel file, photo, etc from email. Anyone dealt with this?  Is the download issue even related?  I've done a little internet research, and the only thing I can come up with is to use a non-infected PC to download any number of scans or fixes and bring it to my PC to run. 

Any suggestions or related experience are appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Norton Power Eraser is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Go here :Am I infected? What do I do? and start a topic there.

Mod Edit:  No need for new topic, old one moved - Hamluis.

...It recommended updating Java,..

It? What it told you to do that?

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2014 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users