Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3TB 5900rpm vs 500GB 7200rmp throughput

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clickcell

clickcell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

I have an iMac with a 500GB drive that only has 20GB free space. I'm hoping to image it onto a 3TB drive and expand the partition size before installing the 3TB drive in the iMac.

Even though it spins more slowly, could it still perform better, being 6x the density?

I'd like a thunderbolt SSD, but they're too expensive at the moment, so I'm hoping this will perk things up as well as giving me more space. What do you reckon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

7200 RPM is still 22% faster than 5900 RPM.

#3 clickcell

clickcell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

But 600% as much data is in on each square inch of disk.

Edited by clickcell, 01 January 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#4 clickcell

clickcell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

this forum sucks, where is the lively debate. not to mention i looked up the drives on a benchmark site and the 3tb disk is faster. this forum is so unlively how old are you people 107?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Lively debate is in this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/69/the-speak-easy/

In other forums, the focus is on actual HELP, not debates which detracts from the help process.

Show respect for ALL while here. Most of us "old people" know more than than the raised-on-computers generation who frequently ask for help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users