Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to Revert Back to old iOS on Iphone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey folks,

Just the other day, I finally upgraded to the new iOS which I believe is 7.0.4. I don't like it because the internet browsing seems much slower and overall I don't like the changes to my everyday uses. I don't do much but browse the internet, text, listen to podcasts, and talk. Even texting seems more difficult and it's just overall more laggy.

I have a iphone 4 8gb. I don't know what the iOS was that I had before but it was the one that started with the phone when I bought it. Is there a way I can go back? I don't mind resetting my phone if I can do it that way. I'll just take note of the things I have set up and notes and stuff. Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

There are lots and lots of articles with instructions on how to downgrade. But you need to choose a version to downgrade to. You can go from iOS 7 to versions 6.1.3 or 6.1.2. Possibly others as well. Without knowing the original OS version I am reluctant to suggest a method for you. With some research you may be able to pinpoint your original version. Such as date of purchase and carrier might pin down the OEM version.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Apple has long implemented device specific SHSH Blobs, and recently, starting with iOS 6, APTickets. Meaning, to downgrade to say, iOS 6.1.5, you would need your iOS 6.1.5 SHSH blob and ticket. You cannot download these online, as they are per device specific. You cannot use a blob for iOS 7.0.4 for a iOS 6.1.5, as they are per firmware specific. These files are usually saved by jailbreaking and using the built in utility in an app called Cydia, the jailbreaking command center, or so to speak. This is how Apple prevents the usage of older iOS's, by forcing iTunes to have these files to be able to flash the iDevice's OS. You probably do not have these files, unless you were jailbroken at the time you had iOS 6.

Basically, to revert to a previous iOS you would need these two files so iTunes lets you change the OS.

With that all said, no. You are stuck, sorry to say.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#4 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I never downloaded an app called Cydia and never even heard of jailbreaking, blobs, and tickets. So yea, unless my phone automatically saved those somehow, I don't see how I could have those. If I called Apple would they maybe help me? I don't see why they wouldn't let us go back to something that worked better for the user.

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

They will not assist you, all of those things I listed were all implemented to prevent the user from reverting to an older iOS.

Now as for why they did it? A number of things are a possibility, planned obsolescence, preventing the usage of fixed exploits, to name a few.

If you would like to try, it'll be a longshot, run this program.

http://blog.firmwareumbrella.com/

You might find some hidden SHSH blobs you saved, as well as the APTickets.

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users