Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD to HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ruepic

Ruepic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hello, my name is Ruepic. I recently joined this forum because I was in need of know a few things.

Here is what I need to know. I am having problems with my SSD and HDD, I have been trying to find a way to set HDD as the maine drive instead of the SSD since the SSD is only 150gbs and I need to use the hard drive. Can anyone help with step by step instructions? My pc: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-desktop-pc-intel-i7-4770-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-m51ac-ca004s/10268368.aspx?path=f4780e87c7a4bbfa3e9b45340ea9f723en02

If what I said confuses you here is a simple summary.

I want to set my hard drive as the driver for my PC.

Specs:

Base Features   Processor Type Intel Core i7-4770 Processor Speed 3.4 GHz Processor Cores 4 RAM 12 GB Hard Drive Capacity 2 TB Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 7200 RPM Optical Drive Blu-ray Drive Combo Pre-loaded Operating System Windows 8 Graphics Card NVIDIA GT650 Dedicated Graphic Card Yes Video Memory 1 GB TV Tuner No Display   Built-in Monitor No HDCP Compliant No Screen Size/Type Not Applicable Native Screen Resolution Not Applicable Touchscreen Display Not Applicable Audio   Sound Card SonicMaster Audio Output 8 Channel Audio Speakers No Speaker Wattage Not Applicable Integrated Microphone No Microphone Input 1 x Front; 1 x Back Line-In Input 1 x Back Line Out 1 x Front; 1 x Back Digital Input Information Not Available Digital Output 1 x S/PDIF Back Networking   Ethernet Port 10/100/1000 Integrated WiFi 802.11AC Integrated Bluetooth Yes - 4.0 Inputs & Outputs   Webcam No Keyboard Wired Keyboard Mouse Wired Mouse Remote No Modem No USB Ports 2 x USB 2.0 Front; 2 x USB 2.0 Back; 2 x USB 3.0 Front; 4 x USB 3.0 Back FireWire (IEEE 1394) No Card Reader 16-in-1: CF; Micro Drive; MS; MS Duo; MS Pro; MS Pro Duo; SD; MMC; MMC4.0; RS-MMC; RS-MMC4.0; SDHC E-SATA No VGA Output 1 Back DVI Output 1 Back HDMI Output 1 Back Component Output No S-Video Output No Composite Output No Other Input or Output Ports 1 x PS/2 Back; 1 x DP Computing Features   Processor Cache Information Not Available System Bus Information Not Available Available Hard Drive Bays 2 Internal 3.5 Inch (1 Available) Available Optical Bays 2 Internal 5.25 Inch (1 Available) Available PCIe Slots 2 x PCIe x1; 1 x PCIe x16; 1 x PCIe x4 (PCIe x16 slot) Available PCI Slots Info Not Available Available AGP Slots Information Not Available Available Memory Slots 4 Memory Slots (2 Available) Removable Storage No Power Supply 300 W Energy Star Qualified No Software   Operating System Language Bilingual Loaded Software Microsoft Pack; Adobe Reader; SKYPE; Freshpaint; Windows 8 Games; i-Control; MAXX AUDIO; ASUS AI-SUITE II; ASUS AI Manager; ASUS My Logo2; ASUS Update; ASUS Q-fan; ASUS@Vibe; ASUS AI Charger; ASUS WebStorage; ASUS Music Maker Product Features   Colour Black Width 17.5 cm Height 40 cm Depth 42 cm Width (Inches) 6.9 Inches Height (Inches) 15.8 Inches Depth (Inches) 16.5 Inches Weight 9.2 kg Warranty Labour 1 Year(s) Warranty Parts 1 Year(s)

Specifications are from Futureshop.ca

post-870806-0-81328300-1388620826.png

Thanks,

-Ruepic

Attached Files

Edited by Ruepic, 01 January 2014 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I would suggest installing Windows 8 on the SSD and use the hdd for all of your other programs and data.

With Windows 8 it will boot faster with a SSD, and 150GB is about right for the size to do this.  It leaves room for eventual updates, or upgrades like 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ruepic

Ruepic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Well, Yes my OS is on the SSD, I am just wondering if I can make my operating system boot up with the SSD and move to the HDD for downloads and saving programs.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

That is exactly what I suggested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ruepic

Ruepic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

I meant by "How" can I do this?

Edited by Ruepic, 02 January 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

There are registry changes and such that will allow you make these changes.  I have found that it is easier to do thing manually.

When you install software install it to D:\Program Files or D:\Program Files (x86), just change the drive letter when prompted for the install location.  While not all programs will allow you to do this, most will.

Create a data structure for your personal files.  This can be similar to what you have on C:, i.e. D:\Users\Name\Documents or simpler like D:\Documents.  The choice it up to you and will depend on how you want your data structured.  I highly recommend storing data at least one level deep on D:.  In other words don't save everything to the root of the D: drive, create folders to store similar data.  After you have created your data structure add the locations to your libraries and make them the default save location.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

You shouldn't need to edit the registry, the process is much simpler than that, especially with Windows 8.

I found some very simple and succinct instructions at the How-To-Geek, definitely worth reading. 

Edited by dc3, 02 January 2014 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users