Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Fan Rattling I think?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hey folks,

A few weeks ago, I put my computer in sleep mode. I left it there for like half a day. WHen I clicked the mouse button to take it out of sleep, inside the computer started to make a loud rattling, buzzing, vibrating sound as the fan spun. So basically it started after it was sleeping and waking up to get the fan going. This has never happened before. I shutdown the computer and started normally and after that the computer sounded normal.

Now, sometimes when I start the computer even starting normally inside the computer makes similar sounds. Anyone know what is going on? Is this possibly a fan that has gone bad or something? Could this be the fan on my video card going bad? I did a web search and read where someone had something similar and thought it was their motherboard. I'm not good with computers so have no idea and am a little overwhelmed because I try to take care of my computer and hope its not something major. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

The only things that move in most computers are fan(s) and hard drive(s). Movement causes wear, and eventually wear leads to failure. :(

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

You guessed it, there is a fan going bad.  The bearings got overheated during that sleep mode and  tried to speed up on dry bearings.  Now it might start okay sometimes but others, it'll grumble, squeek, click and sometimes scream.  Use a small hobby paint brush to probe likely suspecs during the offensive sounds.  Stop each fan in turn to find the offender.

#4 lsmeed

lsmeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

nova's solution seems logical. if one of the fans is worn then briefly stopping them one at a time will identify the culprit.

Just dont forget the power supply fans - PSU's have a happit of getting pretty hot and in my experience seem to wear the fans out a little faster than elsewhere but are not particularly visible/accessable.

If none of the fans seem to causing the noise then as spywaredoc stated the next likely suspect is the HDD. If this is the case it tends to come along with a chattering clicking noise when the drive is trying to read/write. If you suspect it is the HDD clicking then back up any important data immediately as it is a telltale sign of a drive on its last legs.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users