Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor performance in laptop since purchase

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jammyh147

jammyh147

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte p2542g gaming laptop (used for those purposes) that I've had for just over a year now. On purchasing the performance was as expected for a laptop of its specs, however, now, with games that I could run fine on high settings at a high resolution can now only run smoothly on much lower settings at half the resolution I used to be able to play at. I'd say performance is at 1/4 of what it used to be. It doesn't seem to be a software issue as I've just formatted and the same issues remained.

The primary symptom of the performance issues is overheating. I can literally burn my hand on the underside of the laptop when I run a game. I also get blue screens/straight crashes between 1-3 times a day.

My speculation is that I've knocked or bumped it whilst travelling with it and hardware has been affected, though I can't be certain.

I'd really appreciate any advice on understanding/finding a solution to this, as I'm fairly lost. I've considered warranty but this is my only computer and I doubt it's within its warranty...

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hi,

Have you tried carefully flushing the air vents with compressed air to make sure that there isn't a buildup of dust that's affecting cooling and ventilation?

#3 jammyh147

jammyh147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hi,

Have you tried carefully flushing the air vents with compressed air to make sure that there isn't a buildup of dust that's affecting cooling and ventilation?

Hi, thanks. That makes sense, how would I go about doing that?

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

You should be able to buy cans of 'Air Duster' (or something similar) at your local computer or office supplies store.  Then with the laptop off and cold, hold it on its side and blow air in short bursts through each of the vents in turn.  Continue until no further dust comes out.  What you need to avoid is using so much air that it sets the fan(s) spinning at faster than their design speed.

It goes without saying that the can of compressed air needs to held upright to avoid unevaporated gas being squirted into the laptop and potentially damaging components through freezing.

#5 jammyh147

jammyh147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

You should be able to buy cans of 'Air Duster' (or something similar) at your local computer or office supplies store.  Then with the laptop off and cold, hold it on its side and blow air in short bursts through each of the vents in turn.  Continue until no further dust comes out.  What you need to avoid is using so much air that it sets the fan(s) spinning at faster than their design speed.

It goes without saying that the can of compressed air needs to held upright to avoid unevaporated gas being squirted into the laptop and potentially damaging components through freezing.

Thanks I'll do this. Just looking at the vents I can see a dust buildup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users