Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 locked drive can't refresh - automatic repair loop

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 dsbsnag

dsbsnag

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

My windows 8 drive has become locked.  Using Hiren's boot disk I can see that content is on there and I see many drives.  However, chkdsk doesn't recognize the drive and gives data cyclical redundancy errors.

I don't mind doing a reinstall; but, it has many pictures and files I'd rather not loose.

It's been in the automatic repair loop for some time.  I can't even do the one start refresh (it's a lenovo).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Additionally....the only way I coudl get it to boot to a Windows 8 DVD was to change it to legacy mode.  With it in UEFI it wouldn't boot to the DVD at all.   I've created a USB recovery disk from another laptop (same OS) but, it won't boot off of it.

But, being in legacy does appear to lock up the drives.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,287 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

So you cannot transfer your pictures to an external drive using Hirens?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Try doing a Repair Installation, this will not effect your data.

The instruction at Window Eight Forums include a means of downloading a ISO image which you will burn to a DVD to create a Windows 8 installation disc.

I have a preference for ImgBurn to burn the ISO image to a DVD, I've provided instructions below.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

So you cannot transfer your pictures to an external drive using Hirens?

No Hiren's does see my C drive but doesn't let me actually see any files on it (after changing to legacy mode).  the disk remains locked.

I tried Recuva and it says it sees files; but, can't restore anything.

dc3, Ihave a windows 8 installation disc....that's what i'm using to get to at least hte command prompt; but, it's a ram drive (drive "x") and i still can't actually get to the 'c' drive.

i've tried all the usual...

resetting mbram

scanos

etc

even trying the bcdedit to make 'c' default.  no luck.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I'm guessing that you changed to the legacy mode in the BIOS?  If this is the case, change it back, or just reset the CMOS to the default settings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

i did set it back; but, setting it back doesn't let me boot to the Windows 8 installation disk I had.

I've got a USB recovery disk that after much patience it has booted to.   But, I still haven't been able to do a refresh of the PC as it says the disk is locked.

#8 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm guessing that you changed to the legacy mode in the BIOS?  If this is the case, change it back, or just reset the CMOS to the default settings.

oh...and it wont' let me boot to hirens outside of legacy mode

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Did you go back and reset the default BIOS settings?

You can reset the default setting in the BIOS.

If this is a desktop you can either change the default setting by using the jumper next to the CMOS  battery or by removing the battery for about ten minutes.

If you are having trouble booting from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second.

Edited by dc3, 01 January 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#10 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Yes, I did reset the BIOS back to its default state.  When I put in the Windows 8 disk I do get the "press any key to boot" but, nothing happens after I do and it resumes booting to the hard drive.

however, I'm doing this by pressing F12 and not changing the boot order in bios.  DOes it really make a difference?

at the moment i'm still trying to be patient as its on the USB boot that I created from an exact identical laptop my son has.   I see the mouse pointer but still just a black screen.  The mouse does move the pointer so I'm hoping something will pop up at some point.

Edited by dsbsnag, 01 January 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

at the moment i'm still trying to be patient as its on the USB boot that I created from an exact identical laptop my son has.   I see the mouse pointer but still just a black screen.  The mouse does move the pointer so I'm hoping something will pop up at some point.

In order to boot from the disc it must be a ISO image.  I would suggest going to the Windows Eight Forums and download the version of Windows 8 that you have and use the instructions I posted for burning this to a DVD.

Yes, you should change the boot order in the BIOS.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

You wont be able to access the Windows drive in legacy boot because its GPT. As Dc3 stated boot off the Windows 8 DVD while the bios is set to UEFI. When you get to the install menu select repair my computer, Then select the advanced menu, Then other options, now select diagnose my computer. This should unlock the HDD. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yes I understood that well.  But, booting via UEFI it won't boot via DVD

The only way to boot via DVD is to switch to legacy and compatible.   

I'm very frustrated as I know the hard drive isn't corrupt.  I just can't access it.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

If you only want access to your files this may work. Download Puppy 5.6 PAE iso which supports GPT disks. Burn the iso file. In Bios disable SecureBoot. Boot Puppy and see if you can access and copy your files to a USB external disk. Your hard drive will be in the lower left of the desktop.

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/images/slacko56.png

Here is a tutorial on using it. It is for Puppy 5.2.8 but they are similar. You should not do the disk check.

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

#15 dsbsnag

dsbsnag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

I downloaded puppy.....disabled secure boot......

puppy doesn't boot.  goes back to the Lenovo splash screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users