Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display error

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mike uk

Mike uk

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Samsung R780 laptop running Win 7.

Whilst recently surfing the web ( I use Chrome browser) my display flickered and then became distoted ( as though I was looking into a crazy mirrors you see at the fun fair).

I rebooted the PC and it launched windows ok but it then came up with an error message on a blue screen. It then closed down and sent me to safe mode. I opened in safe mode and got a similar message.

Im not sure if it is connected or not but I had a distorted dispaly problem 12 months ago and with the help of this forum it was fixed by ending the "GPU process" from the Chrome task manager menu which made the fault disappear and chrome became viewable again. Proabaly 2 unrelated errors but both related to graphics?

Both messages are shown below, any advice would be appreciated.

Attached File  BP1.jpg   53.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  BP2.jpg   61.29KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Try removing the  cable from the monitor and replugging it in. Just a long shot but worth a try

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Download "Who Crashed" and post the results after it goes through the dmp.log.  Speccy & minitoolbox are not going to do anything to tell you what happened.

All Speccy & minitoolbox does, is tell others that are curious, what software & hardware you have installed.  If you are getting crashes with just Chrome, uncheck "Use Hardware acceleration when available", and try Chrome again to see if it happens.

If it happens again, boot into Safe mode, uninstall the Display & Graphics Chipset drivers, and then reboot to let Windows find the default driver.  Then try Chrome again.  If still doing it in Chrome and no other programs, then Chrome or one of your extensions in it is the suspect, and needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled.

Edited by Greg62702, 01 January 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#5 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hi and thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately my laptop will crash before I have chance to launch anything (even in safe mode)including a web browser as the blue error message comes up during windows launch. Apologies as reading back through my original post I mislead you by saying that "windows launched ok".
Windows does launch and it starts to load up the desktop but crashes before completion.
Obviously this is going to make it very difficult to diagnose.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Run a Repair Installation.  The instructions below include a link where you can download a Windows 7 ISO image which you will burn to a DVD to create a bootable disc.  You will boot from the disc to run the repair, so it will not involve the operating system.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Using the installation disc to access Command Prompt

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Command Prompt from the list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options and type chkdsk /r

w75_zps9941e858.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Download "Who Crashed" and post the results after it goes through the dmp.log.  Speccy & minitoolbox are not going to do anything to tell you what happened.

All Speccy & minitoolbox does, is tell others that are curious, what software & hardware you have installed.  

You may wish to ask yourself this question, if these programs are of so little warrant, why are they so widely suggested here.  Information which you deem to be only for those who are curious to see what software and hard ware others have installed saves a great deal of time for those who know how to use this information.  This information is innocuous, no one will learn anything of value, other than the people who can correlate it in a manner which will help understand or resolve an issue.  Information like does this operating system have the current service pack/s, how much free space is the on the C:drive, what is the uncorrectable sector count, what are the temperatures of the hardware, what are the rail voltages, what are the recent error in the event viewer, what updates are now in need of updating, etc.

Another question you may wish to ask yourself is why isn't Who Crashed suggested in these forums.  The answer is quite simple, it is inconsistent in its findings.     

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

dc3, the two programs you are mentioning, do nothing for troubleshooting.  Since this is a BSOD issue, really need to run the dump log through Who Crashed, to find out the culprit.

The last thing I ever do when working on a customer's computer is pull out Speccy or HwInfo the very first thing, to try and figure out what is going on.  Again, Speccy does not solve problems, it just solves curiosity for people that want to know what kind of hardware and installed programs a person has on their computer.

Even minitoolbox is not even in step two when I work on a computer.  I never have had to use it, to fix a machine, and probably never will, since again it does nothing for helping me to solve problems with a unit.  If I do use it, I use it for what it is intended for, not for troubleshooting something that the OP has going on, which is a hardware or driver issue.

#9 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

I have a disk which came with the laptop, it says "Samsung recovery media". Not sure if that's the same as the "windows install disk" you refer to but I'll give it a try and if not, I'll download the image file.
Thank you once again for the help so far.

#10 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I have run the Samsung disc and followed steps from part B 1b. Everything ran OK but the result was "startup repair could not detect a problem". I have repeated the process, same result but bsod remains.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

The instructions I provided instructed you to click on the Command Prompt and to run chkdsk /r, you should do this.

#12 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have done that and all I got was 3 lines of what looks like Chinese symbols.
I am trying to upload a photo from my android device

#13 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Unable to attatch Screenshot at the moment

Edited by Mike uk, 12 January 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#14 Mike uk

Mike uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Attached File  bc6.jpg   6.47KB   0 downloads

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

Are you saying that screenshot comes from attempting to run chkdsk /r?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users