Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Compatibility?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tampa

Tampa

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hi all.

I bought some RAM for my new build that should be here tomorrow or Friday and im now worried that it might not be compatible with my other components.

My current build is:

- Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel Case 

- CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W PSU 

- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 

- Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz cooled by corsair H100i

- Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 768mb 

- Samgsung EVO 840 SSD 750GB

I bought Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM (CMY8GX3M2A1866C9A). They didnt have the kit of 4, so I bought 2 kits of 2x4GB for a total of 16GB. 

My first question is... will this RAM work at all in my LGA 2011, x79 build? In the box it says "compatible with intel i7) but on the back it says "tuned for optimal over clocking on the latest intel LGA 1150 and 1155." So... now im a little bit confused. 

Second... My board says it supports "Quad Channel Memory." Does this mean I have to by quad channel kits? Or will be 2x Dual Channel Kits perform the same? 

I didn't realize RAM could be this confusing... :(

Edited by Tampa, 01 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

They'll work just fine.

#3 josephno1

josephno1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Why did you get a GTX 460 but a i7-4930K?

I mean a gtx 460 is really weak when it is paired up with a i7-4930k

As for the ram you should be fine.

Quad Channel means that it will be able to spread out the info over 4 sticks thus by making it read faster

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I believe the GTX 460 is old and the OP is reusing it, at least that is what I understood in one of the OP's previous postings.  The quad channel is helpful in benchmarks but, if it functions like triple or dual channel RAM, it doesn't always translate to actual real-world performance.  If you are wanting to use dual, triple, or quad channel setups, the memory in each slot should be identical and ideally from the same brand.  Your board has a memory requirement of DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066.  So long as the RAM you buy matches one of those, and preferably all RAM sticks will match the same speed, you're good. 

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users