Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie, Looking To Grow In Understanding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 higgi

higgi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

I want to get better at understanding my computer and cleaning it from invasions from spyware and other nastiness from the evils of cyberspace.

I have a desire to learn, keep my PC healthy, and pass on the needed information to other novices who are experiencing problems with hostile hackings into computers.

I have a tremendous performance drop in my computer and a a small yellow shield that says updates are ready for your computer, click here to intall. It also says I must first sign end user agreement. I have run microsoft anti-spyware, trend microsystems, Macafee, Adware-se and nothing seems to make this logo go away.

When I start my computer, I am asked "allow or block cpqset.exe. I have been clicking on block.

Are others within the community expericing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

Welcome to BC. Your slowdown may be caused by sypware; I suggest you post a HJT log for our volunteer team of experts to analyse, after which they will work with you to clean up anything it finds. Complete instructions can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Assuming you have a HP notebook, you can safely allow cpqset.exe to run, according to the BC Startup Database,found by looking at the top of this site's page.

In addition to help, BC offers a wealth of information, both in its Tutorials as well as in its technical forums, that will help arm you in defence of your computer.
Welcome to this great user community!
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 07 May 2006 - 12:49 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

You are very welcome to BC

Brian

#4 yano

yano