Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any ideas on how much my computer is worth?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cookmiester

cookmiester

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Didn't really know where to post this specific question so I apologise in advance if this is wrong  :)

I no longer need my Desktop PC due to needing the space, and a laptop or small desktop would now help, especially now I own an Xbox One. If you could shed any light on it's worth, that would be appreciated.

Specs -

MB - ECS Elite H61H2-M2

CPU - Intel core i5 2310

GPU - XFX Radeon 6790 1GB

HDD - Spinpoint F2 Eco

PSU - Coolermaster 500w which came with the Elite 335 case

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM - Basic A-Data 2x4GB sticks

Optical Drive - Basic DVD +/- RW Drive

Accessories wise I have a basic USB keyboard and a Cyborg RAT 3 gaming mouse, a Creative AS520 5.1 speaker system, but no monitor as I use my TV as a display. Use MB sound chip which is a VIA one. Your help is appreciated guys, and thanks for taking the time to read. :santa:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

400-500? Give or take?

But thats if you can find someone to buy it, its tough to resell stuff like that.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I would ask $450 for that setup with the included accessories. Like Green said, reselling custom builds are really hard because people do not find them to be as reliable *they don't know you*, as say a retailer such as Walmart/Bestbuy selling an oem machine.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

The ECS Motherboard is a brand I avoid in even cheap builds. For like $5 to $15 more you can go with better quality name brand boards. Anyone who knows computer hardware seeing ECS already knows that its a mix of low end and mid range parts. If someone came to me selling this I'd offer $250 USD tops and replace the ECS motherboard and sell it for $400 and make maybe $75 on it. I have seen 1 too many ECS brand boards fail and wouldnt want to have the customer coming back to me stating that I sold them a piece of junk. When you are in any business that buys and sells, just like the used car business there are some products that a dealer will not sell on the lot because they dont want to get tagged as selling lemons. All systems I sell are good builds and not a mix of cheapest with mid range parts. Also most people when they buy a system they want a complete system and not a system without a display, so you would have to find someone who wants to perform an upgrade to an already existing system to basically swap their tower out with this one.

As someone like myself buying a computer like this at $250 its a gamble, but also I know that at $250 I could completely strip it and parts it out and sell it off quicker piece by piece than trying to find someone who wants this specific build. So, if you dont find any buyer for the complete system, you can parts it out on ebay and get the most for it that way than selling it to a person like me who would do basically the same thing to make some money on it, when you could make the full amount of whatever the market actually demands for the parts you have to offer. This ECS motherboard I would sell good working condition, but as-is and sell it cheap. You will have to find someone who is willing to take the risk with that ECS board or doesnt know what they are buying and thinks its a great deal!

Also as far as selling used computers go, its a hard business! Lots of used computers out there on ebay for sale etc, as well as with the price of a new computer off the shelf are cheaper than ever.

Also people buy lots of stuff based on appearance and that computer case doesnt draw the attention of gamer builds. Its a boring black case with no see thru panels and LED bling other than the power and HDD activity. Another reason why I relate computers to cars when selling is that appearance does make a difference. You can have the same guts in 2 different cases both equally as powerful with matched hardware, the boring looking basic black tower and the computer case that has see thru cover on its side etc with LED bling to it, and 9 times out of 10 your going to sell the one that glows vs the basic black case, and the 1 of 10 people buying that boring black case would likely be a person like my wife that cant stand stuff that glows like a christmas tree in the corner..LOL

I bought a used gaming system that had everything from good pricey name brand case to  UV light in it with hi-lighter ink added to the liquid cooling to make the coolant glow and all sorts of LED bling which was just a Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz E6600 that I got as a great deal. I knew from doing a quick search that the motherboard supported a Core 2 Quad and so bought this from a person who was upgrading to a new build Core i7, and I upgraded it to a Core 2 Quad and made some money on it and it sold fast!!! My wife was very happy that it sold fast because the glowing and blinking LEDs etc drove her nuts, but also the Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz E6600 with 4MB Cache was an upgrade to her HP computer which supported the E6xxx CPU, so she got a free upgrade on top of the fact that I made money. But also this ASUS motherboard had 4 DDR2 RAM slots and 2 of 4 were stuffed with 2 x 2GB sticks of Corsair DDR2 800Mhz XMS2 for 4GB RAM and my motherboard in my system only had 2 slots and was running on just 2GB RAM. I also had 2 more 1GB 800Mhz DDR2 sticks laying around and so I took the RAM out of this build for my own build to max it out at 4GB RAM, and then fully populated the 4 slots with 1GB DDR2 800Mhz sticks for 4GB RAM keeping the amount of RAM the same at 4GB, although not the better memory that I took out for myself for my upgrade.

Edited by goldfist, 03 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

that is a marketing concept that i entertain. take the best components ( cpu, mobo, gpu, psu, ssd etc) money can buy and create an ensemble in the ugliest beat up old dell case with a 15" crt monitor so nobody knows that there is 3000 dollars of stuff in that old case and see how it fares in the marketplace. everybody would just assume it is a 10 year old $50 PC judging by what they see. leave the celeron/sempron/windows 98 stickers on the case also.

then take the oldest and crappiest components known to still functionally exist and doll it up with  lights and  fans in a fancy alienware case and the cheapest, flimsiest ...prettiest ...flashiest monitor, and see how that fares as well marked up to an astonishingly high price .

this concept is good for a laugh regarding a variety of marketplace commodities.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users