Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareblaster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moota1514

moota1514

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hi ive had "spyware blaster" a few years now and its up to date im wondering is there still a need for spywareblaster........?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 espoo_hopper

espoo_hopper

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi

For what it's worth, I've only recently downloaded SpywareBlaster and have been pleased with the results. SuperAntispyware was regularly removing 30-40 trackers and although they are only a nuisance, they were unwelcome. Since using SpywareBlaster it is rare to find a single one. If you use IE you can make configuration changes to get a similar result, but for my part I'll stick with this program.

#3 moota1514

moota1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi

For what it's worth, I've only recently downloaded SpywareBlaster and have been pleased with the results. SuperAntispyware was regularly removing 30-40 trackers and although they are only a nuisance, they were unwelcome. Since using SpywareBlaster it is rare to find a single one. If you use IE you can make configuration changes to get a similar result, but for my part I'll stick with this program.

Thanks i use Firefox .................yea think it might be a good idea to keep Spywareblaster

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I recommend using SpywareBlaster as part of your security toolkit.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster also prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software amd blocks tracking cookies. It can be used with Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine such as AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2) and provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock.

How does SpywareBlaster actually work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

Unlike many other security tools, SpywareBlaster is not intrusive as it does not run in the background...it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. The program only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. Since SpywareBlaster does not use a real-time protection module, it supplements your existing security software without causing any conflicts. SpywareBlaster can be used with Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine such as AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2). It also provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock.

For more information, see:

BrightFort provides a variety of articles relating to SpywareBlaster, information about AutoUpdate, Troubleshooting and Tools (which explains the HOSTS file). For any issues or information not addressed, users can also check at the Official BrightFort Forum. Information about updates and news can be found at the BrightFort which also provides links to the the online forum and Knowledgebase.

If you're not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 moota1514

moota1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •