Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup conflict - NTFS + NTUSER files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

New Year 2014 Resolution had been to back up (copy and paste) 1. my Docs & Settings and 2. Program Exe folders to a flash drive. In both cases there was a hitch before the operation could be completed:

Program file folder: "Cannot copy smartdb-ntfs. It is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be using this file and try again"

Docs & Settings: Same as above but reference the file NTUSER.

During the backup I closed down all other applications other than Windows Explorer.

The fact that both files have similar names could be purely coincidental.

I found NTUSER as expected within the \Administrator and in my own user folders.  According to several internet sites you tamper with this file at your peril since it is part of the registry.

Smartdb-ntfs turned up within my Ad-Aware Program folder "...\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0. .. database file".  According several internet sites a file by this name is itself considered to be malware.  I have done deep scans with Avast, Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware but they have not identified this as suspect.

Not a good start to 2014 since the backup is incomplete. WhatdoIdo??

XP Home SP£

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Well...I think that you have two choices.

a.  Do a real backup, using software which will include every file in the backup, including system files.

b.  If you insist on using copy/paste as your method...understand that you only need the data files (My Documents, My Photos, etc.) and you have no need of the system files

Note:  Copying (via cut/paste) the Program Files folder is pretty useless...those programs will not work and are of no value if copied/pasted.  Again...using backup software to do a real backup provides users with something that is of value and can be used in the future.

Copy/paste is an acceptable manner of obtaining useful copies...only of data files.  You may want to look at something like Macrium Reflect Free as a backup solution.

Louis

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just wondering if your flash drive is NTFS formatted?cos if not that might be an issue?

http://www.winability.com/no-ntfs-format-option-for-removable-drive/

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Are you running Bitdefender?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Edited by dc3, 01 January 2014 - 11:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Just wondering if your flash drive is NTFS formatted?cos if not that might be an issue?

Most manufacturers format the USP storage deivices to FAT32 because Mac machines can't read NTFS.

The only way that I'm aware of that a FAT32 format is if there are files over 4GB, this is the file size limit in FAT32.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Well...I think that you have two choices.

a.  Do a real backup, using software which will include every file in the backup, including system files.

b.  If you insist on using copy/paste as your method...understand that you only need the data files (My Documents, My Photos, etc.) and you have no need of the system files

Note:  Copying (via cut/paste) the Program Files folder is pretty useless...those programs will not work and are of no value if copied/pasted.  Again...using backup software to do a real backup provides users with something that is of value and can be used in the future.

Copy/paste is an acceptable manner of obtaining useful copies...only of data files.  You may want to look at something like Macrium Reflect Free as a backup solution.

Louis

Thanks for all suggestions to date.  What I didn't mention is that I have already done a "real" backup using Macrium (Pro on trial, not Free!). However my local PC shop then said that if I just wanted to transfer files from my old XP computer to a new yet to be purchased Windows 7 model then the best way was just a pure and simple copy and paste.  Seeing as it will be them that are entrusted to the task who am I to argue? [Real belt and braces stuff, I did a GFI backup also but they weren't keen on this either ..]

I am aware that you can't just transfer program files and expect them to work.  For this reason I keep all the exe files in separate sub folders so that once transferred when required  I can reinstall them.

Iain

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Most manufacturers format the USP storage deivices to FAT32 because Mac machines can't read NTFS.

The only way that I'm aware of that a FAT32 format is if there are files over 4GB, this is the file size limit in FAT32.

This is a bit beyond my pay grade.  How can I check how my SanDisk Cruzer Edge 32 GB Flash Drive is formatted and is this relevant if my total transfer is around 20 GB?  Or do I have to check if any one file is more than 4GB?

#8 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Copy of "Speccy" attached.  I couldn't see a Paste button but I hope this has worked.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ykCTYcyppO8UtqyxoVrIfG6

I wonder if the BC system might permit this to be uploaded into a member's profile in future?  Exactly the same request arose in another thread 2 days ago.  When I tried to comply the system locked up and I couldn't input any text at all for the remainder of the night! And the computer went on go-slow (characterised by the slow motion drop-curtain scenario when I changed from one screen to another - any clues from my Speccy spec?). Severe case of indigestion.

#9 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

I am not running Bitdefender though I did download a previous version quite some time back.

Mini Toolbox text follows:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 18-12-2013
Ran by Iain (administrator) on 02-01-2014 at 01:10:55
Running from "C:\Program Files\Mini Toolbox\Download"
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (12/21/2013 11:35:50 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Error: (12/21/2013 11:35:50 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Error: (12/21/2013 11:33:35 PM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )

Error: (12/15/2013 00:59:07 AM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )

Error: (11/10/2013 02:26:36 AM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This network connection does not exist.

Error: (11/10/2013 02:26:35 AM) (Source: crypt32) (User: )
Description: Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The server name or address could not be resolved

Error: (11/02/2013 00:32:18 AM) (Source: DragonUpdater) (User: )
Description: DragonUpdaterStartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed with 0

Error: (10/26/2013 06:45:10 PM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service) (User: )
Description: Service cannot be started. The service process could not connect to the service controller

Error: (10/21/2013 06:03:01 PM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service) (User: )
Description: Service cannot be started. The service process could not connect to the service controller

Error: (10/20/2013 11:07:16 AM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/01/2014 06:48:15 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The SecureUpdate service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (01/01/2014 06:46:58 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The SupportSoft RemoteAssist service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%2

Description: The Soluto PCGenome Core Service service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%1053

Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Soluto PCGenome Core Service service to connect.

Error: (12/31/2013 09:34:46 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The SecureUpdate service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (12/31/2013 09:33:07 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The SupportSoft RemoteAssist service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%2

Description: The Soluto PCGenome Core Service service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%1053

Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Soluto PCGenome Core Service service to connect.

Error: (12/31/2013 08:37:45 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the WZCSVC service.

Error: (12/31/2013 08:37:41 PM) (Source: W32Time) (User: )
Description: The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. 
No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes.
NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (12/21/2013 11:35:50 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txtThis operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Error: (12/21/2013 11:35:50 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txtThis operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Error: (12/21/2013 11:33:35 PM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

Error: (12/15/2013 00:59:07 AM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

Error: (11/10/2013 02:26:36 AM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

Error: (11/10/2013 02:26:35 AM) (Source: crypt32)(User: )

Error: (11/02/2013 00:32:18 AM) (Source: DragonUpdater)(User: )
Description: DragonUpdaterStartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed with 0

Error: (10/26/2013 06:45:10 PM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service)(User: )

Error: (10/21/2013 06:03:01 PM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service)(User: )

Error: (10/20/2013 11:07:16 AM) (Source: Soluto PC-Genome Service)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

7-Zip 9.20
AccelerateTab (Version: 1.4)
Ad-Aware Antivirus (Version: 11.1.5152.0)
AdAwareInstaller (Version: 11.1.5152.0)
AdAwareUpdater (Version: 11.1.5152.0)
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.9.900.170)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (Version: 11.9.900.152)
Adobe Reader X (10.1.8) (Version: 10.1.8)
AntimalwareEngine (Version: 2.6.0.0)
Apple Application Support (Version: 1.4.1)
Apple Software Update (Version: 2.1.1.116)
Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 FREE v.6.80 (Version: 6.8.0)
Audacity 2.0.3 (Version: 2.0.3)
avast! EasyPass (Version: 7-7-8-128)
avast! Free Antivirus (Version: 9.0.2011)
Canon iP2200
Canon iP4200
Canon PhotoRecord (Version: 02.02.03002)
Canon Setup Utility 2.0
Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint
Canon Utilities Easy-PrintToolBox
CCleaner (Version: 4.09)
CD-LabelPrint
Comodo Dragon (Version: 30.0.0.0)
COMODO Internet Security (Version: 5.10.31649.2253)
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system (Version: 12.0.6612.1000)
Driver Booster (Version: 1.0)
Easy-WebPrint
Eco-eye-Trax version 2.2b (Version: 2.2b)
Edraw Mind Map 6.6
Evolution Plus (Version: 1.0.7)
GeekBuddy (Version: 4.2.35)
GFI BackUp Freeware (Version: 4.0)
Google Chrome (Version: 29.0.1547.66)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 1.0.0)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 7.5.4413.1752)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.153)
Internet Download Manager
IrfanView (remove only) (Version: 4.35)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.6.0)
JDs Auto Speed Tester
LibreOffice 3.5 (Version: 3.5.5.3)
LogMeIn (Version: 4.1.3268)
LP Recorder Trial (Version: 10.1.1.0)
Macrium Reflect Professional Edition (Version: 5.2)
Macrium Reflect Professional Edition (Version: 5.2.6444)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 (Version: 1.75.0.1300)
McAfee Security Scan Plus (Version: 3.0.318.3)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version: 1.1.4322)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2698023)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2833941)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB979906)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 2.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 3.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Version: 3.5.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP (Version: 1)
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (Version: 14.0.5130.5003)
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 (Version: 11.0.8173.0)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.20913.0)
Microsoft Small Basic v1.0 (Version: 1.0.0.0)
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.56336)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30411 (Version: 9.0.30411)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
MP3jam 1.1.0.2 (Version: 1.1.0.2)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (Version: 4.20.9818.0)
OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater (Version: 1.0.3)
OLYMPUS Viewer 2 (Version: 1.3.1)
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 (Version: 3.41.9593)
Paint.NET v3.5.10 (Version: 3.60.0)
Panda USB Vaccine 1.0.1.4
PDF-Viewer (Version: 2.5.189.0)
PeaZip 5.0
Picasa 3 (Version: 3.9)
PL-2303 USB-to-Serial (Version: 1.6.0)
Platform (Version: 1.34)
QuickTime (Version: 7.69.80.9)
Revo Uninstaller 1.94 (Version: 1.94)
Riptunes - YouTube to MP3 Converter (Version: 1.0)
S3 S3Display
S3 S3Gamma2
S3 S3Info2
S3 S3Overlay
S3 S3TrayPlus
Secunia PSI (3.0.0.4001) (Version: 3.0.0.4001)
SlimCleaner (Version: 4.0.28412)
Smart Defrag 2 (Version: 2.9)
Soluto (Version: 1.3.1353.0)
Speccy (Version: 1.24)
Spybot - Search & Destroy (Version: 1.6.2)
SpywareBlaster 4.6 (Version: 4.6.1)
streamWriter
SumatraPDF 2.3.2 (Version: 2.3.2)
Total Recorder 8.3 Standard Edition
UniChrome Pro IGP Display Driver and Utilities
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2836939) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2598845) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2632503) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2467659) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2492386) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2641690) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2661254-v2) (Version: 2)
Update for Windows XP (KB2718704) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2736233) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2808679) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2863058) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2904266) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973687) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (Version: 1)
USB driver (Version: 1.00.0000)
VIA Platform Device Manager (Version: 1.34)
VIA Vinyl Audio Codecs Driver Setup Program
VLC media player 2.1.2 (Version: 2.1.2)
WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523)
Windows Driver Package - OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Camera Communication Driver Package (09/09/2009 1.0.0.0) (Version: 09/09/2009 1.0.0.0)
Windows Feature Pack for Storage (32-bit) - IMAPI update for Blu-Ray (Version: 1.0)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) (Version: 1.7.0069.2)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Version: 20090308.140743)
Windows Management Framework Core
Windows Media Encoder 9 Series
Windows Media Encoder 9 Series (Version: 9.00.2980)
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Version: 20080414.031525)
WinZip 16.5 (Version: 16.5.10096)
WinZip Self-Extractor

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 75%
Total physical RAM: 959.48 MB
Available physical RAM: 232.91 MB
Total Pagefile: 2314.21 MB
Available Pagefile: 1039.42 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1974.41 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (System) (Fixed) (Total:465.76 GB) (Free:438.7 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (BACKUP) (Fixed) (Total:38.29 GB) (Free:30.37 GB) NTFS
4 Drive f: (System) (Fixed) (Total:76.68 GB) (Free:59.06 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\IFPC2

Administrator            ASPNET                   Guest                    
HelpAssistant            Iain                     LogMeInRemoteUser        
SUPPORT_388945a0         

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

No minidump file found

**** End of log ****

This looks a useful tool to have in one's toolbox - if only one could understand how to use it (like all tools)! Loads of "errors" listed.
Again I wonder if there is a case for having this as part of one's standard profile.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

This is a bit beyond my pay grade.  How can I check how my SanDisk Cruzer Edge 32 GB Flash Drive is formatted and is this relevant if my total transfer is around 20 GB?  Or do I have to check if any one file is more than 4GB?

You can see what type of format each device has in the Disk Management.

Click on the Start orb, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files.

Right click on diskmgmt.msc under Programs, choose Run as administrator.

As I posted previously, the FAT32 file format has a limit of 4GB.  If you have files that are in excess of this size you will need to format the drive to NTFS.  A two hour movie is about 4GB.

Say you wanted to see the size of a picture or a document, moved the pointer over the picture or file and hold it there and a box will open which will include the type of file, the title of the file, the date it was last modified, and the file size.

By the way, you don't need to quote the previous post unless it is a post which is several posts back like the one I quoted.

Edited by dc3, 02 January 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

My smartdb-ntfs file is 9.6 MB and the largest NTUSER (there is more than one) 9.2 MB.  May be I should specifically format the flash drive as NTFS anyway?

I found diskmgmt.misc in my system 32 folder but right clicking didn't produce Programs or Administrator option.  I'm missing a trick here.     Control Panel ... Device Manager didn't help either!

I wouldn't normally clog up the correspondence with quoting the previous except that in this instance i had several helpful replies to reply to simultaneously and I began to feel giddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users