Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking out the garbage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running xp SP3. I suspect that I have accrued a lot of garbage on the system over time. I have found Ccleaner very helpful in removing gobs of it but was wondering what others are doing in cleaning out the system. I know that a clean install would do that but that would be an extreme measure for me and I was hoping for a simpler solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

Basic steps are -

Please download and run RKill by Grinler. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. At worst the tool will run for about 2 minutes

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

* Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
* Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* Click on the Scan button (only once)
* AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
* After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Click on the Clean button (only once)
* Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
* Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
* After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
* Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
* A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Do not bother to post the log, just see for yourself if you have too much stuff there. If so, do it every few months

Follow this with -

Clear Cache / Temp Files weekly
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it.
• For Vista, Win 7 / 8 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
• It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
• Click the Start button to begin the process.
• Once it's finished it may reboot your machine.
• If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Finally make sure all programs are Updated if they can be (check their sites) -

Include Antivirus / Antimalware programs ..........

Now read the topic at the top of XP forum area, that includes Defragging every month or so, plus open the side of your case and clean out the Dust Bunnies that live there. Use a small brush / light compressed air / Light vacuum if needed / Etc / Etc /...

Regards -

Edit to clean up post -

Edited by noknojon, 01 January 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

My question is...why do you feel a need to "clean out" your system?  What's wrong with it?

I know of no such need on a system that is working well.

Louis

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I do notice that the system works slower than it did years ago and often when my total defense software is checking for viruses, the processor is maxed out at 100% and nothing moves. When the scan is finished, the system goes back to "normal." It's possible that this is simply an older system with 2519 Mhz processor and I MB of RAM but I do hear the system working in the background more recently in the past for no reason.  I know I have accumulated a lot of junk throughout the years, and I'm not sure what is necessary. If I can get rid of some of that, I would do it, but other than programs, I'm not sure what is the good, the bad or the ugly or if any of that junk is slowing down my system

The question I have for Noknojon is I do have Total Defense Anti Virius working on this system and when I had it installed on my Vista computer, I was told I didn't need any other anti-virus or malware programs running with Total Defense as they  could cause a conflict so I was wondering if adwcleaner you referred to could cause that sort of conflict.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users