Basic steps are -
Please download and run RKill by Grinler. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear.
This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. At worst the tool will run for about 2 minutes
Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.
* Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
* Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* Click on the Scan button (only once)
* AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
* After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Click on the Clean button (only once)
* Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
* Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
* After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
* Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
* A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
Do not bother to post the log, just see for yourself if you have too much stuff there. If so, do it every few months
Follow this with -
Clear Cache / Temp Files weekly
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it.
• For Vista, Win 7 / 8 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
• It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
• Click the Start button to begin the process.
• Once it's finished it may reboot your machine.
• If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Finally make sure all programs are Updated if they can be (check their sites) -
Include Antivirus / Antimalware programs ..........
Now read the topic at the top of XP forum area, that includes Defragging every month or so, plus open the side of your case and clean out the Dust Bunnies that live there. Use a small brush / light compressed air / Light vacuum if needed / Etc / Etc /...
Edit to clean up post -
Edited by noknojon, 01 January 2014 - 04:11 AM.