Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get HTTP traffic from one subnet (a few domains)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 valarking

valarking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

I've been having an issue accessing allmusic.com lately. I looked around and it's been discussed here previously. After some poking around, I found similar complaints for allmusic and sidereel.com, and I cannot access sidereel.com either. Sidereel (208.94.36.23) is on the same class C network as Allmusic (208.94.36.25).

This is a frustrating problem, as I can access it from every other computer I own on my home network. I can even run a virtual machine on my desktop (the problem computer) and the virtual machine can access it just fine. My desktop can ping it as well, but any time I browse to the page, it just hangs while loading and never gives me any response. No browser will load it on my desktop. This suggests to me that something in my operating system, maybe some TCP/IP setting, is causing issues.

EDIT: I'll also add that proxying Firefox's traffic through one of my external servers also accesses it just fine.

When I did a packet capture, it looked like some of the packets were being dropped or garbled in some other way. If anyone wants to look, you can download it here.

I've seen numerous other people with this exact problem, but most of them aren't highly technical, and the responses tend to revolve around DNS issues or modem issues, which are not the case here. I'm hoping that if anyone has seen something similar they might be able to offer some insight.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I use both Firefox and Chrome, but the problem persists for both as well as command line utilities. I've been having this issue for a couple of months.

Thanks!

Edited by valarking, 31 December 2013 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pound

pound

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

Glad to see this subject revisited.  So very, very frustrating -- allmusic was one of my most-visited sites, and since October all I've seen of it on my desktop is the page snapshot when I open a new firefox tab.  Whenever I need to look something up, I have to go in the other room and  commandeer my wife's laptop...

You definitely seem to have something with re. Class C networks -- I just tried sidereel.com and sure enough, I couldn't get it (and sure enough, my wife's laptop had no problem getting it -- and we're both running 64-bit Windows 7, btw).

Edited by pound, 31 December 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Maybe resetting Winsock and the TCP/IP stack would help. Run cmd as an administrator.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#4 valarking

valarking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck. :/ I'll be curious as to whether it works for pound.

Edited by valarking, 31 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Maybe resetting Winsock and the TCP/IP stack would help. Run cmd as an administrator.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

IP settings fine, as bridged mode on VM works fine...

.NET framework up to date?

I find myself lacking in the specific department, but you've sparked my interest... Solution will just be as simple as deleting and refreshing an extension/folder.

Will have a dig around for you.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Could try... refreshing hosts file.

Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.

Copy contents without # starting line into new text file, (open with notepad)

name new file hosts.txt.

rename old hosts to hostsold

rename new hosts.txt to hosts    

restart machine and try again...

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

also... software firewall by any chance???

IP range restricted?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

Allmusic and Sidereel are owned by the same company and are on the same server. None of these suggested fixes will work and Allmusic has admitted that the problem is at their end and was caused when they moved to a new server. But they can't seem to solve it. I have been accessing Allmusic from my tablet and it works fine. and until they fix the problem, that's what you should do.

#9 valarking

valarking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

also... software firewall by any chance???

IP range restricted?

Sorry man, checked all your stuff and none of it was the silver bullet for this problem. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Allmusic and Sidereel are owned by the same company and are on the same server. None of these suggested fixes will work and Allmusic has admitted that the problem is at their end and was caused when they moved to a new server. But they can't seem to solve it. I have been accessing Allmusic from my tablet and it works fine. and until they fix the problem, that's what you should do.

Indeed, I've just been using my laptop. It just seems like, if some of my Win7 PCs work and some don't, the problem may lie on their end, but it's also due to some configuration on mine. If they can't get their stuff together, the more expedient option would be for me to find what my issue is.

The PCAP is just confusing though. I just get pure garbage.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

I've been talking to Allmusic for months. You can contact them at support@allmusic.com But they have admitted the problem is on their end and is related to the server change. Nothing you do to your PC will fix it. 

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

oh well... they must be scratching their heads furiously too. :scratchhead:

#12 valarking

valarking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Did some more poking around. The sites are hosted by ProfitBricks, and none of its hosted sites work for me.

The data looks garbled because it's transmitted across the wire gzipped.

Since I'm only seeing compressed garbage, I figured maybe I was losing packets. Checking the TCP SEQ/ACK numbers confirms this, as I send an ACK of 316 followed by them sending a SEQ of 2929 in my most recent packet dump.

UPDATE:

If you want to get to their site for now, use this url:

http://aws.allmusic.com/

Edited by valarking, 01 January 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

a TCP SEQ/ACK prediction attack could be causing this problem also... failing authentication on both sides.

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Did some more poking around. The sites are hosted by ProfitBricks, and none of its hosted sites work for me.

The data looks garbled because it's transmitted across the wire gzipped.

Since I'm only seeing compressed garbage, I figured maybe I was losing packets. Checking the TCP SEQ/ACK numbers confirms this, as I send an ACK of 316 followed by them sending a SEQ of 2929 in my most recent packet dump.

UPDATE:

If you want to get to their site for now, use this url:

http://aws.allmusic.com/

They sent me that link before and it didn't work. Now it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users