Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading memory in new Toshiba Laptop????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I bought a new Satellite c875d-s7101 about 2 months ago. I think it runs too slow, then I always get the popup about FireFox using too much memory.

It has 4 GB now, would like to add another 4...if that would be good enough??

I've never replaced memory in a laptop before. I'll probably pick up one up off ebay.

According to the pictures, what should I look for when buying?

thanks !!!!!!!!!

20131231_190026_zps6fd794cd.jpg

20131231_185444_zpsfcd0a9d8.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well you could if you really wanted to, but I suspect you might be disappointed. IMO the main cause for the impression of it being slow will probably be the low-power AMD E-450 CPU, slightly up in performance from an Intel Atom, somewhat less than a Celeron or an old Athlon.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E-450-Notebook-Processor.60138.0.html

Of course there can be other reasons for a system to seem sluggish.

Another factor restricting the potential benefit of more memory is the single channel memory controller, so there will be no increase in bandwidth with a second DIMM fitted. This means you wouldn't get quite as much operational speed increase as you would on a system with dual channel memory controller. However the extra memory can be a solution if the poor performance is being caused by paging to the hard drive, as long as the system is running 64 bit, which you would expect a new system to be doing.

Firefox in my experience can have memory hogging problems, changing to a leaner browser is probably a better option than simply throwing memory at it.

One method of researching the correct memory is to use a supplier who guarantees compatibility, such as Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Toshiba-memory/Satellite+C8xx+Series/Satellite+C875D-S7101-upgrades.html

or simply Google search the existing memory type:

https://www.google.com.au/#q=m471b5173bh0-ck0

Edited by Platypus, 31 December 2013 - 08:06 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'd also agree with Platypus that the sluggishness is probably not caused by low RAM.

Or it is, but you have something running that should not be (or is preferable not to be)... I have machines on 2bg of RAM that run FF and other stuff just fine. You might want to look into your processes running more closely, also.

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

When it's chugging, open task manager to what your memory and cpu usage is.

I agree with Platypus too about FF being a resource hog. Try Google Chrome, It's a fairly fast, light browser.

or better yet.....

If you're still within your return window, take it back and get something with a little more oomph! :smash:

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

Hi, rather then doing the ram upgrade, you could go with a SSD upgrade which will make your laptop much more responsive and snappier as currently there is a 5400rpm hard drive. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi, rather then doing the ram upgrade, you could go with a SSD upgrade which will make your laptop much more responsive and snappier as currently there is a 5400rpm hard drive. 

what is a SSD upgrade?

thanks to all who have responded!!

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Solid State hard Drive. It will feel faster, but that means cloning or reinstalling the operating system

#8 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

well, just installed Chrome..........much faster!!!!!!!!!

I do miss my spell check though

Edited by soimcrazy, 01 January 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#9 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

Chrome has a spell checker.

check out this link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users