Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 issues (slow, lagging video, etc...)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ccchhhrrriiisss

ccchhhrrriiisss

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hello BC gang,

I'm visiting my parents for the holidays.  My dad has two computers, but one of them has several issues that are perplexing.

The computer is running quite slowly.  It boots very slowly (taking up to five or ten minutes to fully boot).  While watching some streaming video files, the videos are laggy.  

The system specs:

Windows XP SP3

Intel Pentium D 3.27 Ghz

2 GB RAM

250 GB Hard Drive (with about 170 GB free)

512 MB ATI Radeon Express 200 Series video card

Security software:

McAfee Total Protection 2014

Carbonite Backup

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Things that I have tried:

1.) Ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware - A couple of scans found several malicious items that have now been removed.

2.) Disabled several items from startup.

3.) Uninstalled several programs that were unused (including several toolbars).

4.) Ran full scan with up-to-date McAfee Total Protection 2014.

While the things that I have done seem to have helped a little, the system still boots and runs slowly.  In addition, the video playback is still laggy when viewing some streaming video (particularly large, non-YouTube files -- even when fully downloaded).  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

:-)

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2014 - 07:39 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

First thought is maybe its thermal throttling. I'd run speedfan on it and make sure the CPU isnt roasting and throttling to avoid melt down. This would cause this system to run slow. If the temps are fine then I'd go with a clean install. Its not uncommon for old thermal compound to dry up and cause the CPU to roast and slow, although a CPU fan/heatsink that is clogged will cause the same issue with trying to remove heat from the CPU.

Is this system a system that you can perform a clean build on? Backup personal data to external source and reinstall new clean?

My daughter has a computer that I had to reinstall clean so she could play netflix and youtube etc. It is also running Windows XP SP3, and her system is my old gaming system, 4 systems ago, from years back a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT ( hyper threading - acts like 2 cores ) running on 1GB DDR400Mhz RAM, GeForce 6200 8x AGP video card with 256MB RAM with 80GB IDE HDD, and it runs it all well on 1024x768 resolution. She was having similar problems prior to the clean build where full screen was laggy, and videos had to be viewed in the small windows to play without lag. Knowing that this system had no problems just a few weeks prior, I figured she added something that lagged the CPU down etc, and so a clean build fixed it. I then used one of my 4 copies of Norton Ghost 2003 to make a DVD Burn image of the system in this clean state, and so in the future if she does something that lags it out, I can push the clean image back to it and have it back up and running in less than 30 minutes.

I'd perform a clean install if this is something that can be done assuming you have the Windows XP disc etc and after install, install video card driver etc, and any other drivers required and then its clean and you should be all set.

*As far as McAfee, I'd avoid it. I like Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and has kept my systems clean. My daughter did not have MSSE on it when the system lagged out, but now that its running MSSE its still running strong and she can play her netflix cartoons etc for spongebob etc. Shes 9  =)

Edited by goldfist, 31 December 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

You didn't mention any defragging. I like to remove the swap file, reboot, defrag, then re-enable the swap file with a fixed size (on yours, 3072MB)

And like Goldfist, I'm not a big McAfee fan either. Norton's latest is probably the best and lightest among paid-for AV. I use MS Sec. Ess. on all my computers.

I always tried to trim down XP installs to just approx. 30 processes.

Watch out with a XP reinstall these days, MS seems to have done something with their XP update site and now updates don't work after a reinstall. There's lots of stuff out there about this. Xp support is ending in April anyway, so it may be a moot point. Just know that if you reinstall with a XP SP3 disc you may not be able to get any further updates, either automatically, or by visiting the update site

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users