Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How create a registry key and info please?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have no idea what happened here, my external optical drive all of a sudden is not playing any dvd or audio cd's on it's own but works fine otherwise, when I look in My Computer the optical drive is not showing the cd or dvd contents. I got this bit of help from Dell support:

"There are several reasons for this problem. AutoPlay might be restricted by Group Policy, it could be canceled by a program that is running, or the service that AutoPlay needs to start might not be running. Check for this missing registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Recreate the key, and then create a key entry 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' as a REG_DWORD with a value 91 (Hex). Restart."

Then the tech linked to this article which explains the autorun issue:
http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable...

So now I have a better understanding but what I need help with guys is how to create this key as per his instructions:

Recreate the key, and then create a key entry 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' as a REG_DWORD with a value 91 (Hex)

In the registry, I right-click and see the options as the attached screenshot shows but can anyone guide me further on this please?

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7374/vbf7.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

You need to have the Explorer key highlighted in the left pane. Can you post another image when you have done that?

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

I am hoping this is what you mean?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9224/rwpe.png

Edited by mystic12, 31 December 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Right click in the right hand pane and go to New and select DWORD (32bit)

Type NoDriveTypeAutoRun in the name box and hit Enter

Right click on the name and select Modify

In Value data type 91 and ensure that Base is set to Hexadecimal, then click OK

Exit Regedit and restart your system.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well, that took care of the autoplay which works fine now [thank you very much!] but I still have problems with my pc recognizing the contents of tsome drives which is baffling me, I have 2 external drives which you can see the contents of including the G drive but with the Y optical external drive, you cannot see the contents in explorer view as shown in first attachment and an external flash drive [Removable Disk F], you cannot see the contents even when you open up the drive as shown in 2nd attachment but in the explorer view you can clearly see where it shows that 14.2gb is free so the contents are there but just not visible?

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8729/qy7u.png

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7538/gc5s.png

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Please download the appropriate version of USBOblivion for your system and extract the files.

Eject all USB drives from your system and then run USBOblivion after checking the 'Do real clean' box at the bottom left.

Download and run TFC by Old Timer.

After your system has restarted, reinsert your USB devices and see if you can view the content now.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

did so but no change [thanks for trying]. Any ideas what's going on here, maybe my pc has problems?

Edited by mystic12, 31 December 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#8 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

I've seen this hsppen when a flash drive is failing. It's unusual to see it on two different types of device at the same time.

For the flash drive, right click and select Tools, then Error Checking and click OK.

For the DVD you need a tool such as Isobuster that can do error checking on the disc.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

The error checking on the flash drive shows no errors, does this mean it's dead?

#10 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

If the problem is limited to that flash drive, I would treat it as suspect. Do you get the same symptoms with a different drive in the same usb port?

For the DVD drive, try this troubleshooter - http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

No change on the DVD drive, looks like something in the pc is messed up?. I can see the files on the flash drive in Isobuster so I am guessing that drive is toast?

#12 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

You could try running Microsoft's USB Diagnostic.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

no change, think I'll just get another flash drive and I am about due for another computer so hopefully I won't get that problem with the external drive, you have done much more that anyone could expect and I thank you very much for your help and please note that all that I have learned here will most likely come in handy in the future so it's not wasted efforts by any mean so I wish you a very HAPPY, SAFE and WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users