Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message, on refurb computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stephieann30vb

stephieann30vb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

When I turn on the computer it takes me to this message- error: out of disk. grub rescue>

From what I read online it deals with ubuntu and linux. I'm not positive I just wanted to make sure I was in the right forum. I have a disc for windows 7 I would like to install.

When I put the disc in and hit F9 and go to the boot menu I choose to boot from the Optical Disk Drive, my only options after it starts are upgrade or Custom(advanced) 

I tried upgrade but you have let it start up and as I said it just shows the message error: out of disk. grub rescue>. I then choose the custom(advanced) option. It asks me where do I want to install Windows. The display reads:

Disk 0 Partition 1  696.6 GB system

Disk 0 Partition 2  2.0 GB Logical

It say Windows cannot be installed to either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

Yes Windows cannot be installed on a Linux partition.  Presumably the system has been previously used for Linux, you want to install Windows 7 and don't want to keep anything that may be on the disk at the moment?

In which case you need to choose custom installation, delete the two partitions that are there now, and allow the Windows installer to create it's own partitions and reformat the disk.  By default the Windows installer will create a small hidden system partition of 100mb, and a large partition for the rest of the disk.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 January 2014 - 01:34 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 stephieann30vb

stephieann30vb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thank you, trying now!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76