Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP/Internet Connectivity Issues- Clearing ARP cache

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TiffSavesherPC

TiffSavesherPC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

My trusty companion PC cannot connect to the internet. I've tried all kinds of things... Probably tried things that caused the fuss in the first place, so I am humbly asking for assistance from the peeps I trust for my computer woes....

We have a new router, I've tried wireless and hard wiring... I can get connected to the router, but no Internet. Try to repair and I get a message "cannot clear ARP cache" I have manually tried clearing, still no help. 

Note:

#1 A few years ago, I followed awesome instructions to defeat a nasty Rogue/Trojan (Windows Security fake), and I think that it may have left some damage... 

#2 I know just enough about my computer to cause catastrophe, but I can follow instructions and am actually pretty bright when I apply myself (I'm a crafter not a techie!). 

What info can I bring back to possibly have assistance? Pretty, pretty please with cherries on top?  :flowers:

EDIT: I am running a full SAS scan now. Dell Inspirion 530

Edited by TiffSavesherPC, 31 December 2013 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

Don't get lost in the detail :), see http://www.tech-faq.com/clear-arp-cache.html .

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users