Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just making sure my PS will support my video card upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shafter99

Shafter99

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hi guys! I'm thinking of taking advantage of a deal on a new GTX 760 4G to upgrade from my old HD 7770, but I want to be sure my power supply can handle it before I place the order. The PS I'm currently using is a Raidmax RX-535: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152049 and the card I'm ordering is the MSI Gaming Edition GTX 760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127748 .  Now I've checked the specifications from both the reference edition cards and the specs from MSI's website and the requirement is a 500W power supply with 30 amps on the 12V rail.  My current PS has 36A on the rail, so it does seem like this is a good fit, if a bit of a snug one... The plan is to SLI another one, eventually but naturally I'll get a new PS with that order if I can afford to wait until then.  I'd really appreciate any help or insight into this, mostly to put my paranoid mind at ease one way or the other.  I've been building PCs for about eight years now, and I know that this situation SHOULD work, but some reassurance or caution would really help! Thanks in advance for any help! Happy New Year!

Edited by Shafter99, 31 December 2013 - 02:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

That sounds like a decent fit, but if you have a lot of other things in your computer case (more than 2 or 3 hard drives, a sound card, a couple DVD drives, etc) you may be encroaching the limits of efficiency of that PS, just be wary and you should be fine.

#3 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Use one of the many power supply calculators that exist, to see what total wattage you need.
Make sure to include all specifications in the calculations. (AsGreenGiant Mnetioned.. total number of hard drives, dvd drives, sounds cards, processors etc.)

Try neweggs: Newegg Power Supply Calculator
Or This one: be quiet PSU Calculator

There are plenty of others you can find with a little googling.

#4 Shafter99

Shafter99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hey, thanks so much for the input Giant and Yoshi! I'm placing the order today!!! Those are great applications, Yoshi! Looks like I can wait until I order my second 760 to get a new PS! Thanks again for all your help! Cheers, guys! Happy New Year! Hope it's a great one for you both!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users