Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAINTAINING MY LAPTOP KEEP IT HEALTHY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deb_daz

deb_daz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi I have just joined up and I despise having to pay my local techie guy $130 each time my computer starts to run slow or freezes up and not playing fair. I have searched for what they do to the computer cleaning it out making sure it is all running sweet but I cannot find anything on what programs they use or if there are hidden programs in windows or not they use to do this. Any help in rgards to this will be more than appreciated. I guarantee I am only going to use this info if you choose to pass it on to maintain my own computers as I definitely do not want the responsibility of something going wrong with someone elses computer. Obviously not a real big techie myself perhaps I have just been typing in the wrong questions I don't know.

I would appreciate your help should you choose to pass this info on to me. What software to use or just how to do it.

Kindest Regards

Daz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

There is no reason to pay someone to maintain your computers. You can do it yourself.

Start by reading these 2 posts

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Windows has built in tools you can use. The 2nd post linked to has a link for clearing your browser cache-at the top of the page that opens click your browser name. There are also 3rd party programs such as CCCleaner, ATF Cleaner, and TFC.

Scan at least once a week with your antivirus and programs such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft AntiMalwareSuperAntiSpyware.  Before running scanners update the definitions.

If you install programs make sure you look carefully at each screen. Many programs will also install other things you may not want. Simply say no to those things.

One of the posts linked to states to uninstall programs you don't use/no longer need. If you have any questions about what to uninstall and what to leave please post back in this topic and ask.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#3 deb_daz

deb_daz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi Queen Evie you don't know how much I appreciate the info you passed I am most grateful I am going to read every word and absorb it all like a sponge I really appreciate it. Site like these are just so valuable, its great to be apart of it.

Kindest Regards

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users