Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WANTED HELP WITH CLEANING OUT DESKTOP COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deb_daz

deb_daz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi all new to the forum and I am after some information on how to clean out and keep my computer running without dramas. I have always taken my computer to the techie guy up the street and I am paying him $130 each time he does it. I was thinking why cant I do this myself and save heaps. I am reasonably cluey around computers I have built a few and can do most things to keep myself out of trouble. What I was hoping to find out of you guys is what you have to do or what programs these guys use to warrant $130 each time I an confident I am able to do this with the correct guidance from you. Nine times out of ten my computer comes back sometimes worse than when I took it there still running slow and freezing up and just not playing fair.

If any of you are willing to pass on some of this info to do just that I would be more than grateful, I have searched for ages trying to find anything on this subject but never actually finding anything maybe I am typing in the wrong questions or something.

So if you are wanting to help me thanks so much I can guarantee I am only going to use this info on my own computers as I don't want the responsibility of things going wrong on someone elses machine Im not getting into that.

I just want to keep mine healthy and running good and doing what it should and save myself that $130 every few months.

Kindest Regards.

Daz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

There is no reason to pay someone to maintain your computers. You can do it yourself.

Start by reading these 2 posts

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Windows has built in tools you can use. There are also 3rd party programs such as CCCleaner, ATF Cleaner, and TFC.

Scan at least once a week with your antivirus and programs such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware. Before running scanners update the definitions.

If you install programs make sure you look carefully at each screen. Many programs will also install other things you may not want. Simply say no to those things.

One of the posts linked to states to uninstall programs you don't use/no longer need. If you have any questions about what to uninstall and what to leave please post back in this topic and ask.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

I would also add...as one who initially paid for such services in my Windows 9x days...the biggest obstacle is not to be overwhelmed by the seeming complexity of what a computer system is and how it works...while also recognizing that the Internet provides a ton of data about just about everything may need investigation in the World of Computing.

Lots of "How To" guides/discussions...lots of suggestions on how to overcome many computer situations...few guides on overcoming the biggest obstacle of all, which is the belief that a person cannot move a "computer system" from the "I could never grasp that" category in which he has placed all those who seem to have more knowledge and experience about such.

Wanting to learn...and not expecting it to be as easy and definitive as baking a cake...is The First Step.

Realizing that you don't have to know everything about computer systems...to use them for pleasure or business...is The Second Step.

As the steps continue...your confidence and ability...will grow...and yesterday's "I don't know how to..." soon turn into "I can do that."

Louis

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

They have gotten no more complex since the Windows 95/98 days.  You still have the same procedures when cleaning them of malware.  Now of course it takes a few extra steps these days, but cleaning Windows 7 & 8 is going to be no different, than it was when working on Windows XP.

Just be aware that the guides do leave out the extra steps that are involved sometimes.  That is of course using RKill, manually cleaning up any left over Registry entries, spending three hours sometimes to clean up a system.

Edited by Greg62702, 31 December 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#5 deb_daz

deb_daz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Once again I can only thank you all for your advice and help I am so appreciative of it all you have no idea. I can only thank you all so much for your help.

I am going to read the print off the screen to learn all about what you have told me about Im ever so grateful. I will be putting more posts on in the future and I hope to cross paths with you all again, and you never know it could be me giving you advice in the future ha ha ha I think not.

Kindest Regards To You All.

Daryl

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hey Deb, in a few months you'll be offering help yourself.

#7 deb_daz

deb_daz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

Well Kingdomseeker I hope I am able to return the favour to someone who needs as much help as I do at the moment and I will do it with pleasure.

Daz

#8 deb_daz

deb_daz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

While I have your attention I might ask what's next I have today to both desktop and laptop I have taken them apart remove the ram and rubbed the connectors with the soft part of an eraser my techie bloke let that slip one day. I hope it was the right thing to do as it is suppose to remove build up of dirt on the connectors, done that on both blew them both out with air removed all the dust in them, put them back together went through them both and removed all unwanted and unused programs and files and folders defragged them both ran the antivirus as it was up to date also ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes on both. Now ready for the next step I sat and read through all the items on the suggestions you all said followed them step by step and now ready to move on, I think you may have stirred up a monster in me as I now have a hunger for info and keen to learn how to do things. Looking to hearing from you in the near future.

Thanks

Daz

#9 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

A good place to start is to know what you have, get hold of a copy of Piriform Speccy ( http://www.piriform.com/speccy )

This program will give you a complete rundown of your PC, you might know the processor and memory, but do you know what chipset the motherboard use's or do you know what network card you have??

Knowing what hardware you have makes it easier to know if you have the latest drivers for the motherboard chipset or network card which will allow you to get the most out of your PC or help easily diagnose faults.

#10 deb_daz

deb_daz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Thanks xendistar for the reply I will certainly check that out for sure thanks so much for all the help guys I really mean that.

big regards

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users