Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with cursor after restore

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Basic specs:  CPU AMD FX6300, Gigabite Mobo, 1 T Seagate HD, 16 GB RAM, enForce 650 Ti graphics, double dvd-rw, card reader

I built this machine on Nov. 22.  Have had freezing problems but they had gotten to be almost non-existent, maybe a couple of times a day.  I was going to attempt a Win 7 repair today but it continued to fail and attempted to go to a restore point.  Since then it boots with the windows starting screen showing then enters a black screen with an active cursor/pointer.  I really hate to start over and have to re-install everything.  Any clues?  I have attempted starting in safe mode as well as restoring from a Macrium disk. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

card reader? tell me about that.

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Here's the description and link to the card reader.

AFT PRO-55U USB 2.0 5.25" Bay, CompactFlash/SDHC/SDXC/microSD/microSDXC/miniSD/miniSDHC/MultiMediaCard/Memory Stick/xD-Picture Card. All-in-one Internal Flash Memory Card Reader

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176021

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Anyone?  The HD appears to be active as well.  I'm thinking I am going to have to re-install Windows to fix this at this point.  

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 31 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi, Bill :).

I just did a quick count of the topics you have initiated in the last month or so re this particular system...and, if it were my system, I'd begin at the beginning again and try to see why a new build should entail so many apparent problems for an owner.  I'd start with the basic components...test what I can...until I'm convinced that I don't have hardware issues.  Once that is done...then and only then...would I do a clean install of whatever O/S I Intended to employ.

Louis

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the input Louis.  Yes there have been a number of topics on this machine.  I have run a number of tests through the time since the build and can find no apparent hardware problems. If you have any additional suggestions on tests I could run, I'm all ears.  

As I said above the freeze problem had gone to a couple of times per day but I wanted it eliminated completely so I continued to tinker and ask questions.  I would imagine I'll start a clean install later today and allow all updates to occur prior to loading any software on the machine.  I did not allow the updates initially when I began installing software.  

I appreciate the help you have provided through this.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Some additional information.  When I attempt to use the Win 7 disk to repair I get a dialog box telling me that the "version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible..."

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

can you get into bios. do a restore settings.

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

I have already tried restoring the settings.  Somehow the the hard drive got changed.  I'm in the process of starting over.  Thanks.

#10 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Have you disabled your antivirus software? Sometimes antivirus can interfere with the most frivolous things. I'd even be wary of your antimalware program if you have one installed (such as Malwarebytes Pro).

#11 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Double I have re-installed OS at this point but still having some issues.  I haven't installed any software yet this time and was going to wait for all the updates to complete but have already had a couple of freezes this morning.  I'm not sure what to do as far as testing the actual hardware as I don't have spares laying around to try.  I do intend to replace the gpu as I believe there are some problems with it.  Thanks.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

The most basic procedure would be to test the hard drive.

The diagnostic within SeaTools for DOS can be used with any hard drive, following the steps outlined by Seagate. I would run the long/extended diagnostic, being carerunl to leave all other applications/functions which may be reflected in the SEATOOLs for DOS...alone.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

To get an idea of methods to possibly test other hardware itms...please visit the BC Internal Hardware forum.

Louis

#13 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

I have run the Seatools on the hard drive and found it to be sound.  I will try it again. I also changed the graphics card yesterday and got the same result so I believe it is sound.  I have run tests on the memory and found no errors.  It seems I'm down to the cpu itself and the motherboard.  Every test I've run shows no problems with the cpu that I can tell, temperature is good.  Is there any way to test the motherboard?  This is probably beyond my level of knowledge anyway.   I attempted to run memtest86 last night and while the time it ran showed no errors, I could not get it to complete without the machine freezing.  

I have wiped the hard drive clean and re-installed the OS and am waiting to load any software at this point.  I decided to let all the updates occur and hope doing it this way would prevent the freezing.  I have had two this morning.  Most come while surfing the net but it's not limited to this.  With most the HD does not stay active. The motherboard is under the iron egg return policy while the cpu is under the iron egg replace policy.  Newegg has extended returns through the end of the month so I'm thinking of possibly a different mobo.  Am I thinking wrong about returning these?

Level of frustration is high with this right now.  Never had these types of problems with a machine.  Seems freezing is a common element with Win 7.

#14 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Ran the Seatools again and the hard drive tested fine.  

#15 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Update:  after downloading Nirsoft BS viewer it indicated a memory problem, ntoskrnl.  I tested the memory one module at a time and one instantly froze the machine.  I chatted with Crucial support and determined one module was bad.  I replaced with Corsair and thought things were going well but ended up freezing once.  The freezes tend to be while on the internet 99% of the time and primarily on "busy" websites, many things loading on the site. Facebook being one of them.  The only thing not replaced on the machine is the processor which all utilities show to be fine with good temperature and the motherboard itself.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users