Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaydelnorte

jaydelnorte

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518695/windows-defender-wont-start-no-matter-what-i-try-a-virus/ - Hamluis.

I am having the exact same problem. I had norton preinstalled and the free trial ran out. Even ran the norton removal tool. I tried everything you have said with the same results. Windows 8.1. Everytime I try to turn on Defender in the action center it opens the system 32 folder. I did these steps,

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/56234-make-cbs-log-useable.html

...of running system file checker in the cmd window and it looks like it found and fixed some, and couldn't fix some. I also ran AVG pc tuneup's system file scan. I still have the same problem but now it opens the C/windows folder. Here is a portion of the readout that is significant from the cbs.log,

2013-12-28 17:55:43, Info                  CSI    00000816 [SR] Cannot repair me
mber file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.163
84, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 non
SxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate",
 TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-12-28 17:55:44, Info                  CSI    00000818 [SR] Cannot repair me
mber file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.163
84, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 non
SxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate",
 TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-12-28 17:55:44, Info                  CSI    00000819 [SR] This component w
as referenced by [l:186{93}]"Microsoft-Windows-Printer-Drivers-Package~31bf3856a
d364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384.INF_prncacla"

I have no idea what to do next...

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2013 - 07:27 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 jaydelnorte

jaydelnorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Posted

Edited by jaydelnorte, 30 December 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#4 jaydelnorte

jaydelnorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

speccy not working for me it seems?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0CrhB2qgYDtO2wpLkFT4PoK

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

SO you have AVG and thats why Windows Defender will not start. Do you want to use AVG or Windows Defender?

#6 jaydelnorte

jaydelnorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

i just installed AVG after defender wouldn't start as some form of measure. I would like defender. Should I uninstall AVG and then run the minitoolbox again for you. Thanks for helping.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yes use the AVG Remover from here http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg_remover_stf_x64_2014_4116.exe

#8 tonysmith

tonysmith

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

I've spent the best part of the last 24 hours trying to solve this and like you I would like to use Windows Defender.

I cannot turn Defender on because when I installed my antivirus it changed a registry value to turn it off.

Now I have removed my antivirus the registry value cannot be changed back to allow Defender to run again.

Naturally I have tried turning it on through services and by attempting to change the following registry value. (If I could do this I believe it would solve the problem)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows defender 

disableantispyware needs a value of 0 and not 1.

Trying to alter the permissions for this is also impossible.

I'll let you know if I can find a solution but for now I'm without any protection and that's far from ideal.

Edited by tonysmith, 30 December 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Can you please not remove stuff from your thread as it makes it very difficult to go back and review things. So please rerun Minitoolbox and post the results and do not remove them.

Please download TDSSKiller exe version to your desktop. Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on Change Parameters and click Detect TDLFS File System.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
  • A TDSSKiller text file would be saved in Local Disk C.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Clean.
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
    • Other Services
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users