Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power on button does not work

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Dell Inspiron 530S Dual Core  -  computer is on most of the time. Turned it off normally and has failed to turn on since. I know enough to take cover off and locate on-off switch. When plugged in the light in the rear comes on.. not sure if any other part can receive power or not. Please ID any part or procedure as simply as possible because I wouldn't know what you are talking about otherwise.... please?

Right now working on old computer that I have to constantly remind that it is plugged in and turned on! I've drunk too much coffee waiting for this thing to respond!!!

Thank you.. Terry

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2013 - 06:31 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

have you taken off all external devices and tried to turn it on

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530s_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Check out page 76 for the different colors the power light can be

#4 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

With nothing but power connected : green light at bottom front and yellow light which has to be the 'mother-board' are lit..

No other lights and no fan, etc. work.

Thanks guys...

Attached Files

#5 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

this old machine does not read .pdf file - thanks anyway

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

anything added recently? when you say bottom light is that the drive light? pull all the cards

and memory and reset one by one.

#7 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

anything added recently? when you say bottom light is that the drive light? pull all the cards

and memory and reset one by one.

Thanks anyway.. but I have no idea what you are talking about.

drive light? Is that the light that comes on when it is plugged in? It's right next to the power cable.

added recently? [ don't laugh please ] Do you mean software or pictures?????

pull all the cards, etc.  Have no clue what that means.

Aren't we just talking about replacing the on / off switch? Based on above responses.. should tell you my knowledge of computers.

I'm not a computer guy.. I'm a Herpetologist - I keep Malaclemys terrapin macrospilota and Malaclemys terrapin centrata.. to most that means Diamondback Terrapins.

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Any beeps when the computer is turned on.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Since you cannot start the Dell Inspiron 530S computer you need to read the manual on another computer

--- As you mentioned you have an older computer; however, it doesn’t read pdf files

You say that you are not a computer guy; that’s ok, just explain how you perceive what’s going on and we’ll do our best to help. And I’d say even the more reason to access the manual when it becomes possible to do so

With nothing but power connected : green light at bottom front and yellow light which has to be the 'mother-board' are lit

--- The green light at the bottom is the drive activity light

--- The yellow light is not the 'mother-board' light

------ Where is the yellow light? If it’s on the front it should be in the center of the power on button that you push to start the computer up which means it’s the power light

You asked Roodo what is the drive light?

--- Your question: Is that the light that comes on when it is plugged in? It's right next to the power cable.

--- What you are asking about is in the back of the computer and that is the power supply light

You are wondering about just replacing the on / off switch

--- Although it could be the case, the cause of the problem isn’t limited to the the on/off button, it could be the power supply; maybe even something else

#10 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Larry.. the yellow light is the pic attached on post #4

I've held the on/off button in for 30 seconds or so with the power cord attached and unattached.. no power.

And this old machine keeps directing me to numerous ads whenever I use a link - ya can't go anywhere nowadays without getting some kind of crud that compromises our computers.

My business is "hit" because I can't access info that is on the other computer! Lesson learned.. I do have an external that I'll back-up everything on from now on! Thankfully I have backed up a few things needed.

If needed.. can I attach bigger pics than what I understand is possible now? It says I can only attach a file that's around 100 kb?

Thanks again guys.. let me know what you suggest next please.

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

on the back of the computer is a red switch make sure its on

110v

#12 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Roodoo .. it's on 115 actually

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

When you turn it on are there any beeps at all? In the front what light(s)are on and what color?

(on front you have a power on switch that should light, and at the bottom front- a drive activity light)

(Looks like a picture of a cylinder: the drive activity light)

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

There are two LEDs on the front of the case.  The one at the bottom is the activity light for the hdd.

The light at the Power switch is the power light.  What color is this light?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I just got back from a guru friend of mine.. it is in fact the power supply. He recently reformatted and partitioned, etc. this machine.. which really made a difference. Since it is a "slim" he will have to order the part and install it for me. It's an XP Home.. which most likely explains the issues I've dealt with for some time now.

He sent me home with a "Pro" he recently built.  "You'll see the difference.. it's fast and can handle what you need!".. he claimed. The price is right so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works!

Thanks again to all that have taken the time to help.. it is most appreciated!

Terry

turtletary.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users