Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative Sandbox protection programs for Windows, Linux or OSX

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

To start things off I would like to I love SBIE and have been a huge supporter of it for over three years now but recently an enterprise company has acquired the rights to SBIE and quite a bit people are understandably concerned for obvious reasons although I still remain somewhat neutrally optimistic and believe that SBIE users should try to give Ronen Tzur and Invincea the benefit of the doubt. :mellow: :unsure:

Now just in-case and or if somebodies looking for some good alternatives to SBIE what would you recommend I found something which looks very promising 'Cuckoo' and I heard GeSwall free & paid is a pretty good Windows isolation program, so please share your thought and experience with sandbox/isolation apps. :gathering:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Starting with version 6, avast! Antivirus offered several new protection features to include the AutoSandbox. avast! Free Antivirus 6 does not include the full Sandbox module or its enhancements. avast! 7 extends virtualization “sandbox”. For more information about this feature, how it works and how it differs from avast! Pro and avast! Internet Security, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Starting with version 6, avast! Antivirus offered several new protection features to include the AutoSandbox. avast! Free Antivirus 6 does not include the full Sandbox module or its enhancements. avast! 7 extends virtualization “sandbox”. For more information about this feature, how it works and how it differs from avast! Pro and avast! Internet Security, please refer to:

Thank you, and yes I'm already fully aware of the deference between an auto SB and full SB  B)  basically an auto SB will automatically encapsulate/sandbox a suspicious app or file where a full SB is able to encapsulate/sandboxe an entire application and typically will block the vast majority of malware if not all. But SBIE unlike most sanboxes allows for deeper integration with the Windows 64 bit kernel I believe its over %99 with version 4 which is one of a few 'major' reasons SBIE is the currently the most secure sandbox app for Windows. Well what I'm really looking for is some input regarding alternatives to SBIE's full SB process, Cuckoo Sandbox looks very promising but I'm not quite sure if Cuckoo has been optimized yet for running common app like browsers,email apps & etc now as anyone who's familiar with configuring SBIE would know how it allows you to cherry-pick which process are allowed to save outside the protection of the sandbox which is necessary if say you want to save bookmark data or something less common maybe for example Adblock Plus filter list data, plus just as important would be the level of integration for the SB and if it blocks admin access by default in the Windows version. By the way here's a link to Cuckoo SB and some other alternatives to SBIE  http://cuckoosandbox.org/   http://alternativeto.net/software/sandboxie/

Edited by SuperSapien64, 02 January 2014 - 11:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users