Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem doesn't work on new computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have a Netopia 2241N modem, I have used it for  a few years on my Windows XP pro  computer.  I cannot get the installation CD to work on my Windows 7 computer, it says it is not compatible.  Any suggestions?  I can't get internet service on the Windows 7 computer until I can do the installation, I have dsl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Looks like it only works on Windows 98 through Windows XP. http://fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth.net/archive.html#cayman

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

You shouldn't have to install software of a DSL modem.  Best bet, for the long term would be to get a router.  I picked up a ZyXEL NBG418N Wireless N Home Router on sale for $20.   A router is a benefit in a number of ways, but in this case it would allow you to swap out the computer connected to your DSL modem without having to deal with installing software on the computer.

You may be able to go to your ISP's web site and get instructions for connecting with Windows 7.  DSL is still essentially a dial up connection and your ISP should have instructions for setting up the connection with Windows 7.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

There are manual instructions in link below. Don't know if that is your modem as it says Netopia 2241N-VGX

Configure Netopia 2241N-VGX Single Port ADSL Modem

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

There are manual instructions in link below. Don't know if that is your modem as it says Netopia 2241N-VGX

Configure Netopia 2241N-VGX Single Port ADSL Modem

I can't get on the internet with the new computer before I get the modem to work.  It has an ethernet connection and a usb connection, I couldn't get either to work. 

#6 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I finally found a tech at Centurylink who understands my problem, he confirmed I need a new modem,  they have the westell 7500 it is an ADSL modem.  I can get a westell 7500 that was for verizon at a really good price, I think it should work on my Centurylink service.  Am I right?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I did see one of those for $25 including shipping. But the reviews I saw there are not encouraging. What will and won't work should be

confirmed with your ISP....in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Verizon DSL Wirless Modem/Router Westell 7500

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Yes, they recommended this one, I got a new one for $18.  Thanks everyone for the help :)

Edited by yellowdog5, 01 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users