Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop - DVD/CD-ROM very loud: Need to decrease speed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

Platform: ASUS laptop K52F-BBR9
DVD/CD-ROM: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N

Most of the time the CD/DVD drive works fine. But occasionally when I insert a CD, there is a very loud noise from the CD drive. Sounds like it will self-destruct! Is this noise due to the CD drive running at a very high speed? If so, is there a way to decrease the speed, perhaps an ASUS utility that I can use?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

It could be to the disk being off balance.  This can happen if the disk is damaged or a label has been applied.

Is this when you are reading, or when you are writing to the disk?

More information about the disks you are having the issue with will allow for a better answer.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

It could be to the disk being off balance.  This can happen if the disk is damaged or a label has been applied.

Is this when you are reading, or when you are writing to the disk?

More information about the disks you are having the issue with will allow for a better answer.

The noise occurs when reading. The CDs were created at Walmart. I had hundreds of old 35mm slides that Walmart scanned and placed on several dozen CDs. On CDs for which there was no appreciable noise, there was a round label on the CD that covered the entire surface of the CD so I am assuming that in this case the CD was not off balance. But on CDs for where there was noise, there was a rectangular label placed on just one side of the CD. Could this be the problem? Do you need any additional information?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Okay, so the noise is being caused by the CD being off balance due to the label.  The bad news is that removing the label will probably damage the disk so that it can't be read.  Best advice would be to copy the disks to a hard drive and burn a new disk and use a sharpie to mark the new disk.

Short term this isn't an issue, long term it may cause issues.

#5 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thank you very much for such a quick response. I was able to copy the photos from the CDs to the laptop - only took at most 10 seconds per CD. And once the photos are copied from the CDs to the laptop, I no longer have any use for the CDs - I'll be throwing them away. But good to know for the future that I should instruct the photo shop NOT to place a label on the CDs.

Thanks again!!

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2013 - 12:30 PM.
Adjusted print size - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users