I built a desktop that I use for 3D Rendering and some minor gaming a few years ago. I just ordered some upgrades for it to hopefully improve the overall efficiency of the build and im now wondering if I should sink some more money into a SSD.
My current build (if fedex ever delivers my things) is:
- Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel Case (New)
- CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W PSU (New)
- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 (New)
- Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz cooled by corsair H100i (New)
- Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 768mb (old)
- 4x2GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 SDRAM (old)
- WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM (old)
I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me out with:
1) Should I go for a 120GB SSD and only use it for programs and OS? Or a 500GB SSD and use it for all programs, the OS, and work-related files and keep the WD Drive for music, movies, pictures, ect.?
2) If I choose the latter, will my SSD degrade because of excessive read/writing? If so, how quickly?
3) Which brands would you suggest? The intel SSDs seem crazy expensive. Are the Samsung drives any good?
Edited by Tampa, 30 December 2013 - 01:34 PM.