Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I invest in a SSD? If so, what size?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tampa

Tampa

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi all,

I built a desktop that I use for 3D Rendering and some minor gaming a few years ago. I just ordered some upgrades for it to hopefully improve the overall efficiency of the build and im now wondering if I should sink some more money into a SSD.

My current build (if fedex ever delivers my things) is:

- Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel Case (New)

- CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W PSU (New)

- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 (New)

- Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz cooled by corsair H100i (New)

- Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 768mb (old)

- 4x2GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 SDRAM (old)

- WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM (old)

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me out with:

1) Should I go for a 120GB SSD and only use it for programs and OS? Or a 500GB SSD and use it for all programs, the OS, and work-related files and keep the WD Drive for music, movies, pictures, ect.? 

2) If I choose the latter, will my SSD degrade because of excessive read/writing? If so, how quickly?

3) Which brands would you suggest? The intel SSDs seem crazy expensive. Are the Samsung drives any good? 

Edited by Tampa, 30 December 2013 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't recommend going for less than 120GB SSD, that's what I'm running.  That said really all that is on it is the OS (Windows 7), World of Warcraft (WoW), and all those programs that won't install any place else and data for those programs.  I still have to clean off space when WoW comes out with a larger updates.  I don't think the prices are low enough for a 500GB, for most people.

Odds are you're not going cause issues due to excessive writes.

Sorry, but all of my SSD drives are Intel.  It looks like the Intel drives are about $1 per GB.

#3 Tampa

Tampa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I ended up grabbing 750GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD from Frys. It was only 30 more than the 500GB, so i figured why not. 

Is there any reason to include my HDD in the system at all? I doubt i'll ever go over 750 GB

#4 clickcell

clickcell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

SSDs are nice but I'm not sure how much effect they would have on rendering, maybe a tiny improvement.

I'm jealous of your boards 8 DIMM slots, you could add another 32GB to that without removing your existing modules, and still not have maxed it out. 40GB of RAM? Yes please.

#5 josephno1

josephno1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hi all,

I built a desktop that I use for 3D Rendering and some minor gaming a few years ago. I just ordered some upgrades for it to hopefully improve the overall efficiency of the build and im now wondering if I should sink some more money into a SSD.

My current build (if fedex ever delivers my things) is:

- Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel Case (New)

- CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W PSU (New)

- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 (New)

- Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz cooled by corsair H100i (New)

- Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 768mb (old)

- 4x2GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 SDRAM (old)

- WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM (old)

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me out with:

1) Should I go for a 120GB SSD and only use it for programs and OS? Or a 500GB SSD and use it for all programs, the OS, and work-related files and keep the WD Drive for music, movies, pictures, ect.? 

2) If I choose the latter, will my SSD degrade because of excessive read/writing? If so, how quickly?

3) Which brands would you suggest? The intel SSDs seem crazy expensive. Are the Samsung drives any good? 

For SSDs Samsungs are good but you should also look into upgrading your graphics card. It is so much underpowered compared to the rest of your system

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Over the holidays, I considered getting an SSD for my programs when Amazon was running a special of 500GB EVO SSD for $300, but I chose not to as the only thing it would do would decrease loading times for the games.  I already had an Intel SSD for the OS.

3939.png

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

FWIW, Did You install the Samsung magician software? If so go through the optimizations and be sure the firmware is up to date.

I let it allocate 10% to "Over Provisioning" too.

You could use the hard drive as a backup drive. Then once the backup is done, unplug the data and power cables to prevent wear and tear. Or remove it and put it in a External drive case to be used for backups.

I have currently written .92 Tb to my SSD in this computer according to the Samsung magician software.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users