Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite S870 motherboard can't read Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hydrod

hydrod

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I bought a new hard drive, (old one not working) went to install windows 7. It loads to memory then at the welcome screen the computer freezes up. Ok took out the hard drive and installed it in my desktop, loaded windows with no problem, put it back in the laptop and all it doe's is (can't find media!) The hard drive is getting power (can hear it spinning) Anybody have any Idea what I'm missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

First thing I would try is reseating the hard drive and the RAM, in the laptop.

#3 hydrod

hydrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

That has been done! same problem

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi

What is the manufacturer and model number of the new drive?

What were the circumstances of the old one ceasing to work?

And finally, are you putting in the Windows 7 DVD and attempting to install it or are you expecting it to boot to Windows because of the way you put Windows on it using the PC (like if you had an image of the old drive prior to it going bad and you put that image on the new drive when you plugged it into your PC)?

-=[ James ]=-

#5 hydrod

hydrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Ok this is what happened, The computer is a Toshiba Satellite S870 (it was dropped) the old hard drive is toast, it does not spin and you can hear a clicking noise. The NEW hard drive was put in the computer and an attempted to install a fresh copy of windows 7. The program loaded into memory, when it started to write to the HD the computer froze, this was retried 2 more times. At this time I took out the HD and put it into a desktop and successfully installed windows 7, Put the HD back into the Toshiba, now the computer can't find the HD but the BIOS is showing that it is installed. The computer will only post to the BIOS and nothing else.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi

I haven't worked on many Toshiba laptops lately and none that were as new as yours so I am not sure how the drive's connector is attached to the motherboard. I recall that older Satellites had the SATA connector directly attached to the board but I know some manufacturers use a separate connector that then is connected to the board via a plug or ribbon cable. Have you been able to look at the SATA port and how it is connected to the motherboard? Does it seem loose or damaged?

You could try a Linux LiveCD and see if the drive is visible there. Doesn't sound like it would be, though.

What is the manufacturer and model number of the new drive? I just want to confirm that it is compatible with that laptop.

-=[ James ]=-

#7 hydrod

hydrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

The hard drive is a Toshiba 750 GB SATA drive, the SATA connection is soldered to the motherboard and it is not loose. I double checked the motherboard for any cracks or broken fuses and broken solder joints, and loose ribbon cables, couldn't find any.  

I just went back into the BIOS and the hard drive is definitely listed

I tried to do a windows repair with the windows OEM DVD but the software just gets to the windows 7 welcome screen and locks up.

It tries to load windows (It reads the DVD ok) but just won't get to the repair screen. Heck I've even cleaned the DVD and the DVD Drive.

Like I said before I've loaded Windows 7 on this hard drive using another computer with no problem.

One other thing when I start the computer it comes up with          checking media (failed)

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi

I don't think that you can attach the drive to another machine, install windows on the drive and then put the drive in the laptop and have it boot. Unless you are using tools that specifically do that for the model laptop you have (like a big company does).

Are you able to install Windows on the laptop (not just try to repair a Windows install created on a different computer but actually put the Windows 7 DVD in the laptop, boot with it and install it to the hard drive)?

Are you able to use another boot CD like a Linux LiveCD to see the drive and the files on it in the laptop?

The "checking media (failed)" error may be related to UEFI booting on that laptop. I don't know since I am not familiar with that model. It could also be an indication that the drive is broken or not being seen properly (probably the latter since it works when connected to the other computer).

Maybe someone else more familiar with that model can join in.

Oh, and one more question, did it have Windows 7 on it before it broke or was it once Windows 8? This could be important :wink:

-=[ James ]=-

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

In the bios you could try setting the sata operation to ata, ide or compatibility mode. It is likely currently set to ahci. Give it a shot and see if it boots. To switch back to ahci you will need to install the toshiba sata drivers.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users