Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop display died, replaced gxf card, still no display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mastadex

Mastadex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'm working with an Asus Lamborghini VX2S. It's an older computer that recently had video problems. 

When I was given it, the display did not work on it but it still proceeded to boot. So I ordered a new graphics card and the laptop still does not display. I also tried plugging in a monitor and switching from LCD to VGA, but it did not work. I'm aware that the graphics card is intended for another Asus model (according to the website), but it uses MXMII, which is a standard port.

The question is, could it be possible that the motherboard is dead? Even if it boots? The other alternative is that the graphics card is DOA, which I'm hesitant to rule out since it's brand new.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

If you have one of those USB VGA video card adapters, I'd try that to see if it will work, but this might not work if the system requires a password to boot, if its auto logon plug n play should detect this USB VGA adapter and give you a display to use externally to diagnose the problem internally. Other option is if Remote Desktop or another remote access program is available to connect to this system remotely to then diagnose further.

If the motherboard has a healthy boot to desktop, but display is shot, the USB VGA adapter that is plug n play should do the trick to have access to a desktop and diagnose further.

In the past when faced with problems like this, I try to find a twin on ebay that has a known good display but some other problem and then mix the good guts into 1 system and toss out the troubled guts and save the spare good duplicate guts in case ever needed in the future. However dont sink too much money into a project that can still lead to a non functional system. There is risk in buying a system to mix parts with that in the end you are still without a functional system and now out that much more money.

*Also, if the system requires a logon and you get the keystrokes correct, you can logon without a display to get the USB VGA adapter to mount up with plug n play and gain access to system if the main board is functional and OS is functional.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150177&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo  here is an example of one.

Edited by goldfist, 31 December 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Are you sure the function keys for switching between displays are in the right mode?    i.e. F-Key mode or Function Key mode

or...

I've had backlights die in screens before, but if you hold it right in the right lighting, you can still see the image being produced by the gfx card. If that's the case, time for a new screen

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Replace the Motherboard battery if you can. This battery provides power to the bios, which enables the bios to select the necessary settings for the machine to boot. If the battery is dead, the machine cannot use the proper video settings, and as a result -- NO VIDEO.

#5 Mastadex

Mastadex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Are you sure the function keys for switching between displays are in the right mode?    i.e. F-Key mode or Function Key mode

or...

I've had backlights die in screens before, but if you hold it right in the right lighting, you can still see the image being produced by the gfx card. If that's the case, time for a new screen

So I took a flashlight to the LCD screen and none of the pixels are being changed. So there is definitely a disconnect between the screen and the mobo. I'm using the only Fn+Monitor key combo on the keyboard, otherwise I don't know how to trigger the VGA display without mucking around in the BIOS.

Replace the Motherboard battery if you can. This battery provides power to the bios, which enables the bios to select the necessary settings for the machine to boot. If the battery is dead, the machine cannot use the proper video settings, and as a result -- NO VIDEO.

I shall try this. What you're basically suggesting is removing the CMOS battery and resetting to factory settings, correct?

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Yes, remove the battery on the board, remove the main battery and press the power button a few times to electrically drain the entire computer. Test the board's battery and replace it if it's not the correct voltage. Reset the cmos, put it all back together and give it a try. A bad mobo is not out of the question. ..

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#7 Mastadex

Mastadex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm reviving this old post because I've managed to finally get parts. Here is what I have done:

- Pulled the CMOS battery.

- Replaced the graphics card.

- Replaced the motherboard.

- Replaced the LCD screen.

Short of replacing the cables and soldering new connections, I still cannot get a bois post. I do get the computer beep upon turning it on (single beep, short). Probably because the CMOS has been nuked upon pulling the battery. I still cannot get VGA output despite my attempts at switching to it using the keyboard shortcuts (Fn+ key). 

I'm really stuck here; I don't know where to go next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users