Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death - and spontaneous shut down even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moskthescribe

moskthescribe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hi.  My wife has a Windows vista, SP2 32bit computer which has been sluggish for months - sometimes really bad, other times just a nuissance.

Yesterday I was trying to install Catalyst AMD suite for my video card, and teh installation got partway through and said installation failed.

The installer wouldn't let me click it closed, and CTL ALT DEL didn't bring me to windows manager, so I had to do a hard shutdown with the powerbutton, which is often the only way to shut that computer.

Following that, I've gotten several blue screens of death. 

I took out the hard drive and transferred all the important data to this computer.

Found the old Windows Vista disks and thought I'd do a fresh install since the system had been having problems anyway.  Was able to boot into safemode - but computer then shuts down fairly quickly (within 5-60 seconds or so) and this is now happening every time.

The fan is running and doesn't feel particularly hot in case, though happy to check temp if someone could tell me how - that is, if I can boot into safe mode with network connection - and didn't shut down before download /; instsall of software finished.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  (Note - I had also scanned the hard drive to see if it had a problem, and on 3 separate occasions, the computer powered itself down part way through the test (though everything had passed up till that point).  I scanned the hard drive when it was connected to my other computer (via BlacX by thermaltake) - and didn't find any problems.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

Im not an expert but have you scanned for viruses, malware, trojans

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 moskthescribe

moskthescribe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

I wouldn't be ata ll surprised if that's true, but at this point, I'm not sure how to run anything since comuter shuts down so quickly.  Any suggestions?

#4 ironpenguin

ironpenguin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Sounds to me like you might be having issues with the RAM. When a stick of RAM dies it tends to cause BSODs every time the computer tries to do anything with the damaged portions of the dying stick. 

If you have a USB drive, use your second computer to get Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/), pick the "Auto-installer for USB", select the correct drive for the USB, plug it into the computer with issues and boot to said USB. The way to get into the boot menu varies based on computer, typically it involves pressing one of the F1-12 keys during startup.

At this point, wait for it to scan...If it shows any errors at any point during its first pass that means one of the sticks is bad. If you have only one stick that means you need to replace that, if you have two or more proceed to take all but one out and scan them one at a time. Whichever one(s) throw out errors are the bad ones, Gonna want to remove and replace them.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Basic things I would look at:

If the system boots long enough to go into BIOS...check CPU temperature.  I would monitor that until the system shuts down and then post same here.

In any case, I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive, since you have moved valued data files.  .Although you say that you scanned the hard drive...I'm not sure exactly what you did.  You need to run the long/extended hard drive diagnostic linked below...do not attempt anything other than running the long diagnostic.  The diagnostic is independent of whether the system boots or not.

The fact that the system shuts down in safe mode...can indicate a hardware problem.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#7 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

For readers info please tell us what kind/make and model of computer you have. (Complete Specs if you can find them)

I have a friend who has a laptop with vista, the Mother Board is failing (causing reboots), turns out it was a common fault in that brand/model.

Try a google by make model and see if you start finding common issues of this type.

Another issue is if its a laptop if the fan/cooling is plugged with "fibers" because the user sits with the computer on a fuzzy blanket while relaxing. It overheats and bingo issues.

Any computer with VIsta is old enough that it probably needs a good cleaning(for cooling), desktop or laptop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users