Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 16 questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

1. Is there a way to hide the Linux Mint title bar on programs to save screen space? The title bar is hidden on Windows 8.1 and Windows XP when using Firefox and Google Chrome. This gives more screen space when using these programs.

2. Is there a feature similar to MPC - HC's, MPC - BE's, and Potplayer's pixel shader feature on Windows for movie players on Linux? I know VLC Media Player has some options to toy with video quality, but it hasn't done anything for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

In Chrome I think there's an option to use it's own title bars.  In options, you will want to uncheck "use system title bar and borders".  This should result in the same style window controls as what you'd see in Chrome for Windows.

In Firefox turning off the Menu Bar is probably as close as you're going to get it to how it looks in Windows.  Turning off things like the add on toolbar would also save some screen space.

It's possible to change the font size in the title bar to make for a more compact look.  That's system settings, fonts (try changing font in the title bar to point size 9 for example). Of course you are free to use a different theme or even a desktop environment altogether.  There's far more customisation possible than is the case in Windows.

I'll pass on the video controls question, I use MPC-HC in Windows but I pretty much leave it at default settings.  VLC is by far the most popular media player for Linux though and I haven't had any particular complaints with how it renders video.  MPC-HC is Windows only software, AFAIK.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?platform=linux&hl=en

-

Is this the link I should use to get Google Chrome for Linux? Should I get the one for Debian/Ubuntu? I'm currently using a bootable disc. Will I be able to install Google Chrome and use it?

It's a shame that Firefox doesn't have an option to hide the title bar. I prefer Firefox for most things because the FastestSearch add-on gives Firefox much more functionality than Google Chrome does.

I discovered that I could change the title bar's font a few days ago, but that doesn't affect the size of the title bar. The title bar uses Sans size 9 font by default and anything smaller than that is difficult to read for me. However, the font uses bold characters by default, too. Changing the title bar to use regular characters gives the title bar a much cleaner look although the bold characters makes reading the title bar easier for me.

-

Is it possible to change the color of the title bar?

What does the Backup Tool in Linux Mint 16 Xfce do? Does it create exact copies of files similar to just copy and pasting a file?

Edited some things out because I just figured out how to do them.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 01 January 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#4 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

The answer for Google Chrome is yes; however the "Software Manager" already has the package Chromium, which is re-branded Chrome.

As to your multimedia player question, you could try KMPlayer. The audio & video is very clear and it has lots of controllable features -  http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/KMPlayer-Screenshot-26726.html

The  Backup Tool is suppose to backup your Home Folder, but the latest version in Petra has been reported to have a glitch & isn't working correctly. So until an update, copy & paste seems to be the order of the day.

Changing the title bar color for xfce as opposed to MATE or Cinnamon is rather elaborate, as Xfce doesn't have that option built in.  The reference search will yield article on how it can be done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=change+font+size+ubuntu&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS561US561&oq=change+font+size+ubuntu&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.15946j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=changing+the+title+bar+color+linux+mint+xfce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users