Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder and Files Encryption Isssue between 7 and XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ratball

ratball

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

I searched the site for this issue but had no luck so maybe you guys can help!

About a year ago I finally switched from XP Pro (X86) to 7 Pro (X64).  I must explain the chain of events for you to understand this situation.  Please bear with me.

So my computer was running XP on 2 striped HD's.  When I purchased 7, I added an SSD for the OS install and kept the 2 striped raid drives as my original XP boot incase things didn't work out with 7.  After about a month or so I decided to keep 7 and transform the XP drives into a raid storage drive for pics, music and such. I got lazy with backing up everything and wiping the raid drives so I kept all the user folders in the "my Documents" folder as they were and just remapped the my "My Documents" and such folders over to the existing My Docs, My Pics, My Music folder on the raid drives.  Then I erased everything else on the drives  (Boot sector stuff, windows directory, all hidden/system folders) so the drive would now function as a raided storage drive. 

The problem I'm finally realizing now is that back on the old XP setup I had encrypted the folder that held my taxes and other financial/personal documents.  Unfortunitely that folder was never moved off the drive.  I just deleted the operating system around it.  Now, when I try to access that folder that is mapped to my Windows 7 OS, I get permission errors.  I can open the folders and see the files but I can not access or load any file.  I have tried everything to decrypt or open these files but nothing that I can think of has worked. 

Does anyone know of a way to retrieve the info locked in these folders?  Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ok I think I understand. The first thing I suggerst is stop putting files on the Raid drives. You may still be able to recover the files you need. There is a program called RECUVA that recovers files. I am assuming the file that is encrypted was done so with Microsoft's EFS. Encrypting a file this way it creates a certificate/key in the user profile. Now that the OS is hosed you have to recover them from this location Documents and Settings\< username >\ApplicationData\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates You may have to take ownership of the files. You use the certmgr utility to import the certificate into current user | personal | certificates. All of this is probably long shot, but without the certificate/key there is no way to decrypt the file. It probably wont work because the users files is also locked where the cert files reside. Also, about the drive's themsevles the RAID 0 I take it was for performance? There is no integrity there. You might want to get the files off there and redo them as a RAID 1 mirroring. Just a suggestion.

Edited by technonymous, 30 December 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#3 ratball

ratball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the advice!  I just tried that but no luck.  Most everything that recuva found has been written over and it cant show any previous file system structure. 

I was afraid of this being the case.  Thanks though for at least giving me one more attempt! 

Good idea with the suggestion for the HDD's.  I will make a raid 1 out of those drives tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users